#BloggerCLUE ~ Oatmeal Peanut Butter Date Cookies


Welcome to June reveal day for the the C.L.U.E. Bloggers (CLUE = Cook, Learn, Undertake, Eat).  Blogger C.L.U.E. is a group of like minded food bloggers who get an assignment each month of another member's blog; our mission (should we choose to accept it) is to take the theme for the month and find any recipe on our assigned blog that fits. Make the recipe, photograph the recipe, and share it with you on reveal day! For this month I had the fun task of finding a "Picnic Food" recipe from Christy's Blog "Confessions of a Culinary Diva". Want to take a moment to drool? Just pop over to Christy's Pinterest page... mmm....





Back to picnic recipes! Where to start, where to start... I could search for a summery pasta salad, a great picnic sandwich, a refreshing drink to share, a perfect appetizer, tasty cookies... the options are endless!


I started browsing through Christy's recipes and narrowed it down to a Lobster Roll (who wouldn't want to pull that out of a picnic basket and chow down??!), Guacamole for a delicious appetizer / chip dip, an Irish Seafood Cocktail, some White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Croquants, Winter's Dream Cookies, Strawberry Shortcake, Peppadew Dip, Oatmeal Peanut Butter Date Cookies, or a Hatch Chile Cheeseburger! I looked through all the dishes I'd saved and opted for a cookie - a perfect picnic treat anytime, anywhere. Serve a platter at home for a get together potluck / picnic, pack them up in the picnic basket and enjoy them in the car on the way somewhere, at the pool, park, or beach - cookies are perfect, portable picnic food. Not to mention, I've been craving homemade cookies for awhile now. I usually whip a batch up at least once a month or so, but haven't done that the past few months and I needed a cookie, or two, or three to fix that.

My cookies ended up with a slightly strange aftertaste through no fault of the recipe. My adorable 20-month old baking assistant dumped an almost full box of baking soda into the flour and oats when I was in the midst of prepping my ingredients. Instead of dumping it all, I pulled out all the baking soda I could get then doubled the dry ingredients. I think there was still too much baking soda though. Otherwise we loved the texture and contents of these cookies!! I skipped the peanuts because I didn't have them, but next time would definitely add chopped nuts and a handful or two of chocolate chips as well - yumm!

Come see ALL the delicious Picnic-Inspired recipes shared by all the Clue Bloggers today:


Oatmeal Peanut Butter Date Cookies from Christy Majors at Confessions of a Culinary Diva

Ingredients
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
8 ounces butter (at room temperature)
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
10 diced medjool dates (pits removed)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place racks so oven is divided into thirds.
  2. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
  3. Whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, spices and salt in a bowl and set aside.
  4. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the peanut butter, butter, sugar and brown sugar together on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, and beat for a minute after each addition. Add the vanilla, turn mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients only until just blended. Add the peanuts and dates and mix for thirty seconds.
  5. Cover and refrigerate dough for two hours. (Chilling the dough helps to get more evenly shaped cookies.) Once dough is chilled, scoop up with a tablespoon and roll into a ball in your hand and place on baking sheet approximately two inches apart.
  6. Bake for 13-15 minutes. The cookies should be golden in color and just firm around the edges. Allow to cool and firm for a few minutes on the baking sheets, then move to a cooling rack when they are able to be handled and allow to complete their cooling.

Comments

  1. Oh Rebekah, I remember those days when the toddlers would help me bake LOL. Enjoy...it is of these things that great memories are made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth Wendy!! I just wish I'd taken a picture of her - she was so proud that she was helping mommy with the ingredients!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite and I love the sound of this version! Great choice and nice cooking with you this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so thick and luscious looking! I've never had peanut butter and oatmeal cookies but I am sure willing to try it....I think they would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love PB Oatmeal cookies - I probably have at least 5 variations on the blog, it's such a great combo!!

      Delete
  4. I adore oatmeal cookies and adding dates make them even better. So sorry about the kitchen mishap---I think all of us who have children can relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember baking with a toddler....they do love to help! Glad that your cookies turned out okay. I have never had a peanut butter and oatmeal cookie. That would be a new combination of flavors for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies have my name all over them!!
    Oh how I remember baking with my kids. Lots of fun stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. :) It is fun to get her started in the kitchen now, she sure loves to "help". :D

      Delete
  7. All of those recipes sound fantastic, but you gotta love a good cookie. These sound fantastic - you know, minus the extra baking soda. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely owe this cookie a re-do, without the extra baking soda, and with the peanuts! :)

      Delete
  8. A picnic would not be complete without a sweet treat. Love this cookie. I absolutely adore madjool dates and will have to try this cookie. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A whole box of baking soda? Kudos to you for trying to salvage the dough! I would have definitely thrown in the towel. That being said, the cookies do look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I should have just tossed what I had and started over - but hey, you live and learn! :D

      Delete
  10. I love everything about these cookies! Perfect for a picnic! I will definitely be making theses soon, I just hope they make it to the picnic basket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for baking with (over) enthusiastic bakers! And for what it's worth, I think the cookies still look fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have made oatmeal cookies and peanut butter cookies and love both but I've never tried them together. Seems so ridiculous now! Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a cool cookie! I dont recall seeing it on Christy's blog and its certainly a must-make for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been so long since I have made any cookies (or any dessert-type recipes). You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts