These are tasty, easy, and have been on my "must eat" list lately - or some variation thereof. I've been on a salami and pepperoni kick. The last couple times I've ordered a sandwich out over the past few months it's been some version of Italian. I love the lightly spiced, hearty, and so flavorful combination of meats with some melty cheese and toasty bread. I had a version from Cosmic Dave's recently piled high with a homemade coleslaw that was DIVINE (and super messy). I am going to have to try to recreate that version sometime in the near future.
It has been a busy and hectic weekend at our place, and I needed something satisfying, quick, and easy and these fit the bill just perfectly.
The next time the urge for an Italian sandwich strikes, give this version a try - pile it high with your favorite toppings, dig in, and enjoy!
Hot Baked Italian Sandwiches adapted from Wonky Wonderful
4 hoagie rolls
12 slices salami
4 slices of ham lunch meat
16 pieces of pepperoni
4 slices provolone cheese
4 TBS butter softened
1 tsp Italian seasonings
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, olives, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and arrange hoagie rolls on a baking sheet.
- Blend the softened butter together with the Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a small bowl. Spread desired amount of butter mixture on the inside of the bun (top and bottom).
- On the bottom half of each bun add half a slice of provolone, followed by 3 slices salami, 1 slice of lunch meat (cut in half to fit if needed), and 4 pieces of pepperoni. Top with remaining halves of provolone cheese.
- Close up hoagies and place baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes, or until sandwiches are toasted and cheese has melted.
- Top with olives, shredded lettuce, and sliced tomatoes if desired.
- Serve warm.