Nectarine and Plum Crisp with Oatmeal Streusel


We recently had a large amount of stone fruits grace our kitchen. I had needed peaches, nectarines, and plums for a sangria recipe I wanted to share as part of #HotSummerEats and ended up with boxes of each from Sam's Club - but really didn't need very much for the drink recipe. So I had large containers of all three and was trying to figure out how best to use them before they got overly ripe and I had to start slicing and freezing everything.



I shared a peach cobbler not long ago that I used the peaches up in, and this dish just about used up my remaining nectarines and plums (I think I have three left of each - pretty sure those will "disappear" this week through the course of snacking / breakfast / lunch!)


If you like nectarines and plums I hope you will give this one a try - it is bright, slightly tart, and fresh with the lemon zest and juice, gently seasoned, and the streusel on top is really delicious! My nectarines were a little riper than my plums, so there is a texture contrast between the two as well. Soft bites of nectarine that fall apart in your mouth with slightly firmer bites of plum that hold their form a little more. This is a wonderful dessert for the months of fresh summer fruits! Serve it warm with some ice cream or whipped cream, or room temperature if you prefer. And if you eat this for breakfast and call it fruit and oatmeal, I won't tell! (I do have to say I think there was too much lemon juice - especially eating after cooling there was a bit of an overpowering "tang" that wasn't as enjoyable as it was fresh, I think I'd try cutting that in half next time and maybe upping the sugar just a little).


Nectarine-and-Plum Crisp with Oatmeal Streusel from Food and Wine

Ingredients

Filling
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup hot water
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
6 ripe nectarines, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
6 ripe plums, cut into 1/2-inch wedges

Streusel
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold butter

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, soak the raisins in the hot water for 20 minutes; drain. Meanwhile cut your fruit. In your 9x13 baking dish combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Fold in the nectarines and plums and drained raisins. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
  2. Make the Streusel: In a bowl, combine the oats, flours, sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon. Work in the butter with a pastry cutter until mixture is well combined. Sprinkle over the fruit. Bake the crisp for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden. Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve. (It is important to allow the crisp to cool before cutting into it, otherwise the filling will be very wet. Allowing it to cool allows the filling to gel and firm up.)

Comments

Popular Posts