Thursday, April 02, 2015

Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta


One thing I have noticed I generally neglect on this blog is "side dish" recipes; and more specifically vegetable side dishes!

It's not that we don't eat our vegetables, we definitely do. But it's the same vegetables over and over - Caesar salads, garden side salads, green beans, canned peas, steamed broccoli, etc. You get the idea. Nothing to write home about, and certainly nothing worth sharing here. 



I am trying to make a conscientious effort to change that a little bit, and I went WAY overboard buying tons of fresh produce when I was at Sprouts Farmers Market over the weekend. Last Sunday I took Kent and Lindsey for a little mommy / kiddo outing. We grabbed some lunch at Red Robin's (Kent's FAVORITE!) and then hit Sprouts.
 


I practically filled our little cart with produce - oranges, carrots, brussel sprouts, kiwis, lettuce, cauliflower, cabbage, strawberries... so many yummy things! When I got everything home we couldn't fit everything in the refrigerator! Some of it had to sit out on the counter overnight. I cooked up a few things to try to make space, but the cauliflower and cabbage are still on the counter. Guess we'll be having cauliflower with dinner tonight!

In any event this is a delicious brussel sprouts recipe - my son and I are devouring them. If you can make these ahead of time, let them soak in the broth, and reheat and serve later go for it; they were even better the next day!



Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook

Ingredients
2 lbs fresh brussel sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half (quarter if desired)
3 TBS olive oil
3 to 6-oz pancetta, chopped into small pieces
4 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Directions
  1. Cook the brussel sprouts in salted boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain.
  2. Crisp up the pancetta in a large skillet in the olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Toss in the sprouts and stir gently, occasionally, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Pour the chicken broth into the skillet and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the broth reduces so that it coats the brussel sprouts and your sprouts are tender.




2 comments:

  1. So glad you and your son loved it. My brother wouldn't touch them for the first couple of years, now they're a favorite for him too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you and your son loved it. My brother wouldn't touch them for the first couple of years, now they're a favorite for him too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)