Recipe: Easy Caramelized Onion Pork Chops

Here's a new one from AllRecipes we tried out this evening that went over pretty well. In my opinion there was a bit too much salt and pepper, so I'd maybe cut back by about 1 tsp but I also only used 3 medium sized chops, so maybe if I'd used 4 per the recipes instructions it wouldn't have been overly seasoned? Kenneth said he didn't think it was too peppery but that was about the extent of the feedback I got from the ever so helpful boys!!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 (4 ounce) pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick
3 teaspoons seasoning salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 onion, cut into strips
1 cup water

Directions

1.Rub chops with 2 teaspoons seasoning salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.

2.In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown pork chops on each side. Add the onions and water to the pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

3.Turn chops over, and add remaining salt and pepper. Cover, and cook until water evaporates and onions turn light to medium brown. Remove chops from pan, and serve with onions on top.
The lid on the pot I used had a steam vent, so I didn't have excess water to boil off at the end so I didn't need to leave the top off, but if yours doesn't vent well you would probably need to leave the lid off for the final simmer.
 
I also thought the chops could have maybe used more time to get a little more tender, they were ok, but still a little tougher than I like them. Flavor wise it was good, and we like cooked onions and the combination was nice. I also threw in some garlic powder to the seasoning mix since we're all big garlic fans! Served with baked potatoes and some green peas for a satisfying dinner.

Comments

Popular Posts