Japanese Pan Noodles with Steak for #OurFamilyTable
Welcome to #OurFamilyTable! We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! Come find us on our Pinterest board. Are you a blogger who's interested in joining the fun? Visit our group page and request to join!
Christie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures said: We are all about the noodles today! Long, skinny, stacked, veggie, bean, boiled, baked, fried. Let's show noodles some love today.
This is an easy and completely delicious meal! It takes a little bit of prep to pull all the sauce ingredients out and then prep the veggies, but once you have that ton, it comes together in a flash! Put on some throw back music and enjoy your prep - just a suggestion - totally speaking from experience there.
The sauce is sweet, savory, and with just a touch of spice. You can play with the flavors after the sauce simmers and adjust if you want more of a gingery or spicy flavor profile - I thought it was delicious just as is! You could change up the protein in this one very easily as well - use chicken, cook all the way through at the beginning. Or use shrimp, throw it in with the noodles or sauce at the end and cook until pink. I'm sure either would be delicious - or make this a meatless meal and leave the protein out! It's incredibly hearty and filling with those delicious noodles and tender veggies.
Check out our noodle-full recipes today!
All About the Noodles
Japanese Pan Noodles with Steak
2-3 TBS olive oil, divided
1 pound strip steak, sliced into thin strips
2 (7-oz) packages Udon Noodles (about 3 cups, thawed if from frozen)
8-oz mushrooms, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and julienned
1 large crown broccoli, cut into florets
salt and pepper
1 TBS minced garlic
2 TBS sherry, or mirin
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 TBS white wine vinegar
2 TBS. brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 TBS corn starch
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl or large (4-cup) measuring cup. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Heat 1 TBS of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Sear the steak on each side briefly (season lightly with salt and pepper before or during cooking), cook through to about medium-rare, then remove and set on a plate to rest.
- Add another TBS of oil to the skillet, and sauté the vegetables for about 6-8 minutes, until crisp tender (or preferred tenderness). Add in the noodles and toss / stir for about 3 minutes.
- Whisk the sauce once more to recombine, and pour over the vegetables and noodles, with heat on high, stirring occasionally. Bring sauce to a simmer for about 1 minute to allow it to thicken.
- Turn heat off. Stir the steak in to coat in the sauce, and serve. Sprinkle with sesame seeds / toasted sesame seeds if desired.
Recipe adapted from Cook with Sara