The Big Barbecue Online Event ~ Bacon Bourbon BBQ Chicken Kebabs
Manu's Menu is hosting an online blogging event to help raise awareness for Prostate Cancer; every September in Australia, the Prostate Cancer Foundation organizes the Big Aussie Barbecue to raise awareness on prostate cancer and this year we're all helping through our blogs as well. According to Cancer.org: "Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men (after skin cancer), but it can often be treated successfully. More than 2 million men in the US count themselves as prostate cancer survivors."
My grandfather had skin and prostate cancer and passed away not that long ago after loosing his battle. Although I did not get to spend very much time with my grandpa over the past 20 years, since leaving Washington state and only a couple short periods of time when I lived there again with family, and a few visits, I of course have many memories of him. One of the strongest ones is as a teenager, we were visiting (I think my brother and I were spending a couple days there), and I remember grandpa showing me how to play with an art program on the computer. It was very choppy and the graphics were awful, but I "painted" scenes of grass, and trees, and horses to my little heart's content. I also remember one visit back to WA with Kent when he was little and spending time with Grandpa at the Seattle Museum of Flight which was one of his passions. He spent quite a bit of time there as a volunteer, and made an excellent guide. Kent was fascinated, and is now considering a future involving aircraft. I wish he and grandpa could have the chance to talk about that.
So today I am sharing a BBQ related recipe, in honor of the Big Aussie Barbecue event. I have to be honest - this did not come out the way it seemed it was supposed to. I could not get my bacon paste (drool) to adhere to my chicken pieces, and ended up with most of it at the bottom of my grill, which is quite literally a crying shame. That said - I would highly recommend you make this recipe but season the chicken directly with the seasoning mixture, without the bacon, and continue with the amazing sauce mixture to brush over the kebabs during grilling. The flavor of the smoked paprika and brown sugar from the paste, with the kick of smoky sweetness from the sauce was amazing. I just was bummed to loose so much of the bacon during the grilling process. I am leaving the recipe as written, and as I made it, for reference below - if you feel daring give it a try, and let me know if you have better luck (the flavor is worth it, either way).
Tomorrow we're going to take what's left of the paste and do a baked version of chicken, to make sure not to waste a single drop of that bacon-ey goodness!!
Prostate Cancer Foundations Around the World
- Prostate Cancer Foundation, Australia
- Prostate Cancer Foundation, New Zealand
- Prostate Cancer Foundation, USA
- Prostate Cancer, Canada
- Prostate Cancer Foundation, South Africa
- Prostate Cancer, UK
- AIRC, Italia
- Yummy healthy (vegan) treats for a BBQ" by Il Mondo di Ci
- Aussie Burger with "The Lot" by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Pineapple Brown Sugar Chicken by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Vietnamese Pork Chops by Manu's Menu
- Caprese Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Bacon Bourbon BBQ Chicken Kebabs from Host The Toast
1 cup Cherry Chipotle Not Ketchup sauce
2 TBS Barbecue Sauce
2 TBS Barbecue Sauce
2 TBS Southern Comfort
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into 1" pieces
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
4 slices thick cut raw bacon, cut into small pieces
- Clean and grease your grill, then light and heat to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the Cherry Chipotle, BBQ sauce and Southern Comfort. Mix well and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the kosher salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dark brown sugar, smoked paprika, and bacon. Pulse until smooth.
- Put the chicken thigh pieces in a bowl and then rub with the bacon paste. Once well-coated, thread the chicken pieces onto skewers (pre-soaked, if they're wooden).
- Place the kebabs on the preheated grill. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until nearly cooked through.
- Brush the kebabs generously with the Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce and cook for an additional minute on each side.
- Serve with the remaining BBQ sauce on the side.
Thanks for joining us Rebekah. I am adding you to the link on my page.ReplyDelete
Thanks Wendy! I sent a couple e-mails but I think they didn't go through so wasn't included with the links, but definitely wanted to participate in this one. :)Delete
Hi Rebekah! I am so sorry for missing your email!! I have added your link to my post and sent out an email to all the others, so they can add your recipe too. Thank you so much for participating! I love the look of these kebabs and I can;t resist bacon!!! :-)ReplyDelete
Thank you! :)Delete
What a fantastic combo!ReplyDelete
This looks fantastic, Rebekah. I completely missed the boat on this event, but I am so happy to see this recipe. I can't wait to try it.ReplyDelete
I hope you enjoy it too! :)Delete