Mobile was GREAT!

I had the BEST getaway weekend ever... well, the best one in a long time anyway. :) I had a pretty good drive down, hit a little bit of rain right around Montgomery but nothing that lasted long. The dogs weren't thrilled with the car ride but they were pretty well behaved most of the time. Our newest addition, L.B. is the most "damaged" of our dogs, I guess is the best way to put it. He's been through some horrific traumas in his short life before we met him and I knew bringing him into the house never to expect too much of him, the goal is to just try to give him a happy life without asking for much in return. He is a very nervous dog and everytime I cracked the windows for some fresh air the noise and wind seemed to terrify him poor guy! I really wanted to ride with the windows down and feel the sun and wind, but I didn't want to traumatize poor L.B. further!

I stopped once for breakfast and once for the dogs to have a potty break and stretch their legs, and we arrived around 12:30pm Central Time. Kenneth was still working, so it gave me time get checked in and get the whole car unloaded, food put away, crates and beds set up and dogs settled which was nice. I walked the puppies around a little before heading over to pick Kenneth up around 2:00. It hasn't been TOO long since I saw him last, but it feels like it has been a long time with all the back and forth and only short visits we've gotten. It was so good to see him with my eyes and hug him with my arms. We spent the afternoon back at the hotel and he took me to Wintzells, a local oyster house for dinner which was very good! I ate WAY too much and was so full!

We took it easy the next morning, grabbed a small breakfast from the "continental buffet" offered by the hotel, walked the dogs some and enjoyed each others company. Kenneth wanted a Chick Fil A biscuit so we headed out around 10:00 to the mall that was nearby, we ended up grabbing a chicken biscuit and I got my favorite diet Lemonade from Chick Fil A, a cinnamon roll from Cinnabon which was right next to Chick Fil A, and coffee from Starbucks which was right across from Chick Fil A! Breakfast perfection!! :) We spent most of the day back at the hotel, running out once more to stop by Kenneth's hotel (where the Marines were staying) and doing a little shopping, and spent a little time in the pool and then walked across the parking lot to O'Charley's that evening for dinner. There were 3 restaurants VERY close to our hotel which was nice and convenient!

After dinner we went back to the hotel and watched some TV and hung out, I got a craving for pie so I walked across the street to Waffle House and brought back pecan for Kenneth and chocolate cream for me... not exactly the most healthy way to end an evening but it was good stuff! :) They even heated the pecan pie on the grill with butter and steam, so of course I had to taste to see how that came out - yum! :)

Sunday came too quickly, and I pretty much had to cattle prod Kenneth to get up and moving, but eventually we got the dogs walked, breakfast eaten, the room packed up and the car loaded. We left the hotel at 12:00 and stopped at Panera for lunch before I took Kenneth over to his hotel to say goodbye. Goodbyes stink, but I was very grateful for the time we had together so I tried not to pout too much!

I hit the road around 1:00 and got to Honey's house around 7:45. On the way back, I ran into another Marine wife at the rest stop we pulled in at so the dogs could have a potty break - she'd just come from Mobile too, visiting her husband!

I was so tired when we finally pulled into the house and depressed when I saw the long grass and was once again reminded of how overdue I am for mowing the yard... guess I know what half of my weekend will be spent doing! We unloaded the car, and Kent was really tired too so he went to bed after helping get everything into the living room. I put most of it away pretty quickly since I really hadn't taken much, the dog beds and crates were most of it and those don't take long to set back up. I was happy to be home, but sad I would be sleeping alone again that night. I talked to Kenneth briefly before I went to bed, they were heading out the next day.

I got to "see" him via webcam for a little chat on Monday when they were on their layover on their way to CA! That was nice, since it will probably be the last time for a long time we get to use the webcam since they don't have wifi where they are now. I talked with him for a little last night before bed, they had a LONG night with very little sleep and a full day so I'm sure he was beat!

I finished up one of the Sookie Stackhouse books last night (its due back today at the library) and I am planning to start reading "The Host" tonight, I'm thinking a nice warm bath, some tea, and a book sound like a great way to spend my evening... though I have several Netflix movies ready to be watched and returned too... ever since I started visiting the library more often I haven't spent much time in front of the TV, I'm thinking about canceling Netflix since I am not using it much right now but I'm not sure yet... thinking about it...! :)


Popular Posts