Pot Roast with Gravy



I love beef roasts in the crock pot - one of my favorite fall meals for sure! I love how this meal comes together in about 20 minutes, simmers away all day (and smells amazing) and then dinner is served. I really liked the flavors in this particular roast recipe. I've cooked a bunch of different variations of pot roast in the crock pot, and this one is definitely a keeper. The sauce made a wonderful gravy that didn't need seasoning adjustment at all and we stuffed the crock pot full of vegetables and potatoes so there was plenty to go around. I even added a package of portobello mushrooms and about 1/4 head of cabbage during the last 3 hours which were very tasty additions to the meal. I served this roast up with some garlicky cheesy pull bread and everyone was very stuffed by the time dinner was done. I look forward to making this dish again soon when the weather cools off and my crock pot is getting put to more frequent use.


Pot Roast adapted from Paula Deen

Ingredients
1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless chuck roast

1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper 
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 (10 3/4-oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
3/4 cup water
5 - 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half (I used a mix of russets, reds, and sweet potatoes)
1 large onion, quartered
6 - 7 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces

Directions
  1. Place prepared vegetables in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
  2. Combine salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl - rub on all sides of the roast. Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the roast, searing it on both sides. Place the meat atop the vegetables in the slow cooker along with any juices accumulated in the pan. Add garlic and bay leaves to the slow cooker.
  3. Combine the mushroom soup, wine, Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon, and water in a bowl. Pour over the roast.
  4. Cook on low for 8 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
  5. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
*To make gravy: pour out liquid from the crock pot into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and thicken it by adding 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water, whisking constantly.




Comments

  1. Just took a walk and there was a slightly cooler breeze than the usual HOT August ones, and it made me start thinking about Fall Food. Which includes Pot Roasts. This recipe looks like a winner to me. Time to dig out the crock pot and find a nice chuck roast and start cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts