#FishFridayFoodies ~ Chunky Shrimp Burgers



Welcome to our "Seafood Burgers" reveal day! This month our hostess is Heather from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen. Would you like to join Fish Friday Foodies?  We post and share new seafood/fish recipes on the third Friday of the month.  To join our group please email Wendy at wendyklik1517@gmail.com. 

This month I found a delicious looking shrimp burger recipe and adapted it for what I had on hand and what I had the energy for. The original recipe was linked to an AMAZING looking onion brioche bun. Yes, I will be going back to make that one soon!

The original recipe called for a full teaspoon of salt and I added about 3/4 a tsp and found the recipe to be overly salted, so I suggested 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt to start with. You can pan fry up a little piece of the mixture to taste test.

This was otherwise a very tasty burger, though I did find the mixture didn't hold together very well during frying. A couple of my burgers did, and a couple did not - so refrigerating the mixture and / or adding an extra egg might help. The original recipe calls for using a food processor to pulverize half the shrimp, but I wanted to keep more of the texture so opted for fine dicing.


Chunky Shrimp Burgers adapted from The Kitchen Whisperer

Ingredients
1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 egg
2 TBS Gourmet Garden lightly dried cilantro
1 TBS minced garlic
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
3/4 tsp black pepper
3 TBS vegetable oil (more / less as needed for frying)
4 buns for serving
Suggested toppings: sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, mayonnaise, mozzarella cheese, leafy lettuce, etc.

Directions
  1. Divide the shrimp in half. Roughly chop one half and add it to a bowl for mixing the remaining ingredients. Finely dice the remaining half of the shrimp and add to the bowl with the rest of the shrimp.
  2. Add the egg, cilantro, minced garlic, breadcrumbs, onion, salt, and pepper. Combine gently. Check the texture, if needed you could add an additional egg for binding if needed. You can refrigerate the mixture for an hour at this point if desired, to help the mixture hold together during frying (I did not).
  3. Heat about 1 TBS of oil at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
  4. Shape shrimp mixture into 4 burger patties. Fry for about 3 minutes per side, or until patties are well browned and shrimp mixture is cooked all the way through. Fry in batches if needed 


Comments

  1. Mmmm, I love shrimp burgers - delicious choice Rebekah! And those buns do sound like something I'd enjoy, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound tasty and agree the onion brioche would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had a shrimp burger and then today I found them on a menu at the restaurant in which we had lunch in NC. I didn't try them but I definitely want to try yours Rebekah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound wonderful Rebekah! I've never had a shrimp burger either and now I need to try one of these. Love your toppings too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that you didn't make the shrimp burgers completely smooth! A little bit of texture is never a bag thing! These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Along the lines of great minds thinking alike, I did a shrimp burger this month as well. But I made mine appetizer size. Yours look great. I left some chunky bits in mine as well, somehow 'pulverizing' them in the food processor didn't sound all that great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts