#BundtBakers ~ Chocolate Chip Apple Cake


BundtBakers


#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

Thanks to our lovely hostess Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm for our theme of "Apples" this month! I love that she picked something as versatile apple - as you can see from the wide variety of cakes baked this month you can use this delicious fall fruit in many different ways, in a huge variety of flavor profiles. 

I am so looking forward to apple picking in the next couple months. We've gone a couple times now, up to Blue Ridge Georgia to B.J. Reece Apple Orchards and picked apples in the orchards with the kids. It's beautiful there and the apples are simply amazing. There's nothing that beats picked fresh from the trees. They're so incredibly juicy!

Now, onto this unique cake. The ingredients seem a little... odd... but oh my goodness. The cake. It's wonderful. It's so, so soft. The texture is wonderful. Moist and tender. And the chocolate chips add terrific texture. The apples disappear to completely into this when grated, so if you want to have noticeable pieces of apple you can stick to finely diced instead of grated apple. The flavor of the cake has a subtle hint of chocolate, and a warm touch of cinnamon. The ratios are just right - we all absolutely loved the way this cake came out - it will definitely be featured in my kitchen again. 



Chocolate Chip Apple Cake adapted from Carol on AllRecipes  

Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 TBS vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2-3 cups apples grated (peeling is optional)
3/4 - 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch bundt pan.
  2. In a large bowl cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Beat in the eggs then add the water and the vanilla.
  3. Stir the flour, cocoa, baking soda, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg together. Beat this mixture into the creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in the grated apples. Pour half the batter into the prepped pan and sprinkle on half desired amount of chocolate chips. Pour in remaining batter and top with remaining chocolate chips.
  4. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake tests done when a toothpick is inserted near the center. Transfer to a rack to cool. When cool, invert onto a platter. Makes about 16 servings. 


Comments

  1. The ingredients do not seem odd to me. Chocolate and apple go nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the water that really threw me - and it made the batter texture funny, but it turned out so good! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that bundt pan that you use and I love the flavor profile of apples and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy - definitely has become my favorite pan, and I've never done apples with chocolate but it works so well!

      Delete
  3. It sounds so good the combonitation of apple and chocolate. I'll have to try it. I love the bundt pan. I have it and it's one of my favourite. Picking apples seems so funny. Maybe one day I'll go and pick some somewhere although I think, here in Lima (Peru) it would be easier to pick mangoes, hahah!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! What a cute cute cute cake and such delicious flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have thought to combine apples and chocolate chips...but this looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom and I went apple picking last fall in OH and had a great time. I hope I can find an orchard out here in CA.
    Your cake sounds lovely, nothing wrong with apples and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just adore your bundt pan and this sounds like such a delicious cake for the fall season. Mmmm everything is better with a little chocolate ;D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts