#ImprovCookingChallenge ~ Cinnamon-Apple Honey Cake


Welcome to December's Improv Cooking Challenge! This month we are pairing honey with cinnamon - so your options are pretty much endless (and delicious). I had sweets on the brain when I started running some searches, and ended up with this very quick, easy cake recipe that I am more than happy to share with you today. 





This cake came out crispy on the edges, sticky and tender in the middle, with lots of tender apple in most bites. And drizzling the honey onto the warm cake is brilliant. It soaks in, leaving you with a little shine and a touch of sweet to this otherwise lightly flavored cake. I think a touch of salt in the recipe wouldn't hurt, and would probably add that were I to make this again. As I mentioned below, the original recipe calls for a 6-inch cake pan, and I only have 8-inch, so I baked for 25 minutes and it was perfectly cooked through (and clean up is pretty quick and easy thanks to the parchment paper)! Mine is thinner than the original, but I thought it worked well still. The cake is mild enough that you could easily serve this with breakfast, or with a cup of tea for a relaxing end to your day!

Cinnamon-Apple Honey Cake from Taste of Home

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled apple
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I subbed 1 TBS molasses and remainder white sugar to equal 1/2 cup)
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons honey

Directions
  1. Line a 6-inch round baking pan with parchment paper (I didn't have a 6-inch, so used 8-inch which also works, but is much thinner); coat paper with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Arrange apple slices in a single layer over cinnamon.
  2. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until well combined, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg, scraping down sides as needed. Add in the milk and vanilla, blending on low speed. On low speed, blend in the flour, baking powder, and remaining cinnamon just until blended (make sure all flour is incorporated). Spoon evenly over apples.
  3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Invert immediately onto a serving plate; drizzle with honey. Serve warm or room temperature, as desired.




Comments

  1. Well Rebekah, you got me all excited to try this cake that I know I would love and I can't seem to see the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so ♥ fresh apple cakes! mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts