This was a terrific recipe! I've had these chorizo sausage links in the freezer for awhile (spicy scares me) and finally decided to pull them out and find a good recipe to use them in and am SO glad we tried out this one. I LOVED the smoky flavor the charred bell peppers added. I've never made charred bell peppers before, so this was me branching out from my comfort zone on multiple levels - and I'm so glad I did! This was a wonderful combination of flavors and textures and I can't wait to try it again - maybe with some chicken or steak next time. Yumm! Thankfully these were not super spicy sausages - they added just the right amount of heat to the mixture.
Chorizo Tacos slightly adapted from by Jonathan Fritz on AllRecipes
4 (4 ounce) links chorizo sausage
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
3/4 cup chunky salsa
10 - 12 small corn tortillas
Desired toppings: lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc.
- Preheat two electric stove burners to medium - high heat. Place whole bell peppers on the burners, turning occasionally (using heat proof tongs) until evenly charred. Place into a plastic ziploc bag, seal, and allow to cool. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sausages on baking sheet and cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse pinto beans, place them in a medium saucepan and add in the salsa. When peppers are cool enough to touch, peel off skin, remove seeds and stem, and chop. Add peppers to the beans and salsa mixture. Heat through until warned over medium heat.
- When sausages are done, slice into 1/2 inch rounds, and stir into the pepper mixture.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle to medium high heat and cook tortillas until browned on both sides.
- Spoon the sausage filling onto each tortilla, and sprinkle with desired toppings (cheese, lettuce, sour cream, avocado, etc.).