#SecretRecipeClub & #MuffinMonday ~ Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins


Today I am sharing my monthly Secret Recipe Club and Muffin Monday post all-in-one; so I went straight to my assigned blog Karen's Kitchen Stories to check what yummy muffins she had on her blog to choose from and immediately jumped to the Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, but there were also these Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins... guess what I chose! T'is the season for all things pumpkin (and stay tuned, the blog is going to be inundated over the coming week with them thanks to #pumpkinweek)!

#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.


Learn more about Karen here. She is a married, busy HR lady /recruiter who also teaches college courses part time, mom of two grown children, and proud grandma to two adorable boys who resides in Southern California (I used to live in SoCal many many moons ago at Camp Pendleton - I still miss the gorgeous weather and beautiful ocean view we had from our home).

 

These muffins are pretty spectacular; very moist and so perfectly flavorful! I loved the spices in this recipe; they have just the right amount of flavor from all those lovely spices. (My 16 year old son says these are the best muffins he's had in a long time - high praise indeed!)


I am kind of obsessed with all things pumpkin, and of course now that we are at the tail end of September it is the appropriate time to allow my obsession to come on out and play! I always stockpile pumpkin puree when it goes on sale after Thanksgiving, and love to use it in various muffins and breads throughout the year, but when September / October hits every version of pumpkin is fair game. Pumpkin Monkey Bread and a Pumpkin Chicken Stew will be shared very soon... yumm...


Anyhow, enough with my pumpkin craziness - back to these muffins!


As you can see my official baby taste tester also gives her big seal of approval. She's been getting about half a muffin as a snack, or with breakfast or dinner most days since we made these. These are very versatile and everyone in the house has really been enjoying them. It makes a pretty large batch, so you can put some in ziploc bags and freeze them after baking if desired. Then thaw and enjoy all over again at a later date!


Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
Makes about 21 muffins.

Ingredients
Cooking spray
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I suggest freshly grated)
1 tsp salt
8 TBS unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla 
2/3 cup apple juice
1 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional - I omitted)

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and fill approximately 21 - 24 regular sized muffin tin openings with cupcake liners / or spray the muffin tins generously with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, and salt - set aside. 
  3. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and blend on high speed with the paddle attachment for about 3 minutes, or until creamy. Add in the eggs, applesauce, pumpkin, and vanilla, and continue beating until ingredients are well blended.
  4. Next add in half of the dry ingredients, mix, add in the juice and mix, add the second half of the dry ingredients and mix again until smooth. Don't overmix.
  5. Fold in the raisins (if using).
  6. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Bake on the center rack (one pan at a time) for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. 
  7. Allow the muffins to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them and allowing them to finish cooling on a wire rack. Serve muffins warm or room temp.





Comments

  1. What a tasty combo for muffins! My two favorite pancakes that my dad makes are pumpkin and applesauce so I am all about the combo in this muffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great base for a tasty fall pancake!

      Delete
  2. Can you tell PERFECTION for Fall? that's what this recipe is... fantastic pick for your assignment, I am sure they were moist and delicious!

    great job! Have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds Rebekah. I also combined my Pumpkin Week post with my pumpkin muffins LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about combining all three - but I reaaaallly wanted to make the Pumpkin Monkey Bread recipe and share that one too, so kept that one for #PumpkinWeek. :)

      Delete
  4. These muffins would be so great for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! Love the idea of pumpkin and applesauce together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really make for a tender and moist muffin!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like these got several thumbs up at your house, Rebekah! I must say, they do look perfect. And your little taste taster is adorable, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebekah,
    I just bet these muffins are moist and flavorful with such wholesome ingredients! I love to feed my kids muffins for breakfast or have them handy for after school snack--great idea to freeze some for later.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love keeping them around for all those reasons too - I love how versatile muffins can be, and they can be packed full of some pretty great and healthy ingredients for little ones too!

      Delete
  8. I totally forgot about this muffins Rebekah! Thanks so much for the reminder!! So glad you enjoyed them and they could do triple duty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this one Karen - it was such a big hit; I think there's half of a muffin left from the full batch... I doubt it will still be there when I get home. :D

      Delete
  9. Oh yum! Pumpkin and Apples - 'tis the season, isn't it? These look amazing and moist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on the pumpkin obsession. I come home from the grocery store each week with a bag full of different pumpkin goodies - this week was pumpkin granola bars and pumpkin Twinkies. OM NOM :D These muffins look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard for me to not buy everything with the word "pumpkin" on it - there are some AMAZING smelling pumpkin yogurt coated pretzels I saw at the store yesterday and I wanted to put every single bag in my cart...

      Delete
  11. Oh I need some muffins in my life right now. It has been too long. These look fantastic although I would have been hard pressed not to make the double chocolate ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry - I'll make those too, soon. :D

      Delete
  12. Ooo, I love Muffin Monday! Such an awesome idea. This pumpkin/applesauce combo is so especially seasonal right now! You've made my first reveal day extra delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These muffins look perfect for a treat and for breakfast! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your taste tester is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, this looks like a great way to get my son to eat some pumpkin and apple. Perfect for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait, #MuffinMonday has become a thing now?! Can I get in on it (maybe after the New Year).
    Love the combination of pumpkin & apple - hello fall!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll take anything pumpkin! And These look amazing! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need one of these with a pat of cold butter and cup of hot coffee. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the perfect way to enjoy these!!

      Delete
  19. In my part of the world, I'm obsessed with all things asparagus - lol - but I'm bookmarking this for that time when pumpkin season returns. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts