This is my second Reynold's recipe for this month - I am so happy to be working with this terrific brand. I love Reynold's products - their foil is the only one I buy and I am now a HUGE fan of the slow cooker liners - there is zero mess to clean up. How easy is that??! One pot meal and no clean up. My son (who is the do-er of the dishes) is a huge fan and says "Thank you Reynolds"! (Seriously, he said that.)
This is another delicious recipe from them. I loved the Gumbo I shared the other day, and I equally love this Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe. Super tender and flavorful meat, with a nice bite from the cumin, and the fresh crunch and sweetness of the coleslaw recipe. Perfection. I literally mmmmeeed and ahhhhheeeed over this one.
There was eye-rolling-back-into-head action going on. The original coleslaw recipe calls for jalapeno, which I omitted because I am a self-proclaimed spice wimp. I didn't think it needed extra heat, but if you like the flavor feel free to dice one up and throw it into yours! I tweaked the seasoning amounts for the coleslaw as well, so feel free to check out the original recipe and go from there. (Essentially, I doubled the amount of slaw, but didn't double any of the seasoning ingredients. I taste tested, then added more honey, salt, and pepper but didn't increase the lime juice / zest).
I cannot wait to get home to the leftovers of this one, and know we will certainly use this recipe again soon!
Facebook page, twitter, or their website. Here's the description of the slow cooker liners as well (when I linked over there was a coupon for 75 cents off the slow cooker liners on their website - so make sure to check out their coupons too!):
Using Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liners help take the pain out of slow cooking by making cleanup a snap. Just serve your meal, toss the slow cooker liner, and you’re done! No soaking or scrubbing necessary.
Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners prevent a baked-on mess and eliminate soaking and scrubbing your slow cooker after a meal. They are made with a special heat resistant material that holds in even the heartiest ingredients. Simply place the liner into a slow-cooker, fill it, then cook as you normally would. When you're done cooking, just toss away the liner and enjoy your meal without a thought to any messy clean up.
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches from Reynolds on AllRecipes
2 medium onions, sliced into thin wedges
1/2 cup light beer or water
1 (2 pound) boneless pork loin roast, trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
Lime Carrot Slaw:
1 (16-ounce) package pre-shredded cabbage and carrots
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons lime zest
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoon honey (start with 1 TBS and add more if you don't want it too sweet)
1/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (more to taste)
- Line a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with a Reynolds(R) Slow Cooker Liner.
- Combine onions and beer in prepared slow cooker. If necessary, cut meat so it will fit in cooker. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, teaspoon cumin, black pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over all sides of meat; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in cooker.
- Cover and cook 8 to 10 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Pull meat apart into shreds using two forks. Return meat to the slow cooker. (Or use a spatula or wooden spoon and shred meat in the crock pot, gently). If you want a thicker sauce, remove most of the liquid that has accumulated in the bottom of the crock pot before adding in the BBQ sauce. Stir in barbecue sauce, vinegar, honey, teaspoon cumin, and ginger gently with a rubber spatula. Heat through.
- Spoon meat into buns with a slotted spoon. Drizzle with extra sauce from the crock pot as desired. Top with Lime Carrot Slaw.
- Lime Carrot Slaw: Place a bag of pre-shredded cabbage and carrots into a large bowl. In a small container, combine olive oil; lime zest; lime juice; honey; salt; and black pepper. Cover and shake to combine. Stir into the cabbage mixture.