Pancake Casserole with Johnsonville Vermont Maple Syrup Breakfast Sausage








Want something different for breakfast?? This was perfect for our family - Kenneth is not a fan of eggs, but he sure does love sausage. Me? I typically dislike sausage but love pancakes and eggs. My dislike of sausage excludes Johnsonville products. I cannot give you a good explanation other than the fact that I have yet to meet a Johnsonville sausage product I didn't love. I am actually somewhat hooked on these breakfast sausage links I used in this dish (which Johnsonville was kind enough to send me a coupon for, as part of the October AllRecipes AllStar campaign). They are SO GOOD! Even our 1 year old who is going through a picky phase with food ate almost a whole sausage link by herself.

The original recipe calls for bacon in place of the sausage I used which I'm sure would be very good as well, but I thought the maple syrup in the batter would go perfectly with the maple flavoring in these links. I am posting the recipe below as I made it, and as it is pictured but I would make 2 changes next time: I would omit the 1 cup of cheese on the top, and I would mix the diced, cooked sausage pieces into the batter before baking. Then I would serve with hot maple syrup on the side. The cheese was a little overpowering. I liked the cheese mixed into the batter, but that extra cup on top seemed to clash with the maple pancakey-ness of the rest of the recipe. That is my opinion - however pretty much all of the other reviews on AllRecipes seemed to like it as is, so go with your gut and make it however you think your family will like it best!

I am already excited to give other variations of this a try - I found this recipe on AllRecipes and it is on my radar for an upcoming weekend breakfast... mmm... pancakes, maple syrup, and sausage - a match made in heaven.

Only one more weekend left until we close on our new house... so we'll see how crazy this upcoming weekend ends up being. We may be eating cold pizza for breakfast next weekend.


Find Johnsonville on their website, Facebook, pinterest, or twitter!


Pancake Casserole adapted from

Ingredients
2 cups baking mix (such as Bisquick ®)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided (I suggest only using 1 cup)
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons maple syrup
2 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1  12-oz package Johnsonville Vermont Maple Syrup flavored sausage links, cooked and diced into bite sized pieces

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
  2. Mix baking mix, 1 cup cheddar cheese, milk, maple syrup, eggs, and sugar together in a bowl; pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle sausage and remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese over casserole (if using); return to oven until cheese is melted, about 5-10 more minutes.

DISCLAIMER: I am an Allrecipes Allstar brand ambassador (a voluntary position) and I am not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com. Products received from advertisers are only used for experienced-based reviews on Making Miracles. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of Rebekah. To learn more about the Allrecipes Allstars program visit Allrecipes Allstars.


Comments

Popular Posts