I received a version of this recipe in a handwritten cook book from Kenneth's uncle for Christmas one year and we don't make it often, but I pull it out when it's chilly outside and I'm longing for something cheesy and creamy and satisfying! You can tweak this easily to your preferences by increasing or decreasing the add-ins (such as the chicken or cheese), or use a crushed chip or cracker topping instead of, or in addition to, the cheese topping!
|Cheesy and bubbly, straight from the oven|
|Creamy and comforting!|
1 box Chicken flavored Rice-A-Roni (prepared according to box directions)
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 can green peas, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, separated
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Cook Rice A Roni according to box directions.
- While the rice is cooking, add chicken, mushrooms, peas, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and can of mushroom soup to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add cooked rice to mixture in baking dish and gently stir to combine evenly.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese, cover with foil, and bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.