Apple Butter Biscuit Breakfast Bake
This is the month of all the tasty apple treats! This one tastes like Christmas to me - and would be a terrific addition to a Holiday brunch bar. I made a batch of apple butter recently, and had also made up a batch of biscuits to go with it! I had a fair amount of leftovers of each and started googling "uses for leftover biscuits. Low and behold, I stumbled upon this recipe using not only the biscuits, but apple butter too! I had to give it a try. And I'm so glad I did!
Like most breakfast casseroles, this whips up very easily and quickly and after an overnight soak in the refrigerator you bake for about an hour and breakfast is served. The combination of flavors is subtle, the apple butter just adds a lightly sweet spiced note to accompany the savory ham and cheese with the biscuits providing a tender base. This is a fantastic way to use up some leftover biscuits if you happen to have a few laying around too!
Apple Butter Biscuit Breakfast Bake from Taste of Home
10 leftover biscuits (enough to cover bottom of 9x13 pan)
3/4 - 1 cup apple butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
6 large eggs
2-1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Split biscuits in half and place bottom halves over the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread biscuits with apple butter, return tops.
- Sprinkle the chopped ham and shredded cheese over the biscuits.
- Combine the milk with the milk, salt, pepper, and ground mustard in a bowl; whisk to blend. Pour over the biscuits and cover with saran wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, pull casserole out to warm on the counter while you pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, until golden around the edges, cheese is melted, middle is set, and eggs have puffed up.
- Allow to rest a few minutes before slicing and serving!