#BakingBloggers ~ Applesauce Pie


Sue of Palatable Pastime and Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm have brought together some of her blogger friends to create #BakingBloggers - every month we have a general theme (such as pies, muffins, cakes, etc.) and we get to share any recipe we'd like! This month we are sharing some delicious Holiday pies with you - just in time for the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. These should give you some fantastic ideas for your Holiday desserts table.

I had a large batch of homemade applesauce on hand and the thought crossed my mind that perhaps there was such a thing as an applesauce pie in existence - so I searched, and lo and behold there surely was! So I whipped one together and am sharing it with you today. It is INCREDIBLY easy to make - just a small handful of ingredients and you have an apple pie variation in no time flat. And if you have a plethora of applesauce on hand maybe you might want to give this delicious, easy pie a try too! The texture makes me think of apple custard. It's unique and delicious.


See all the lovely pies being shared today:
Applesauce Pie from Genius Kitchen

Ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons flour
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 9 inch pie shell (recipe below)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Blend eggs through lemon juice in the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell. Bake 45 minutes, or until almost completely set (slight jiggle in the middle is expected) and crust is golden brown and baked through.

Flaky Pie Crust adapted from on AllRecipes

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter flavored crisco
1/4 cup cold water

Directions
  1. Combine flour and salt, cut the crisco into it using a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the cold water with a fork until mixture begins to come together. Use your hand to work any remaining loose dough into the mixture, which should be soft and moist but not too sticky. Form a ball and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours before use. 
  2. When ready to use, lightly flour a surface and your rolling pin, and roll dough out to create a thin, even pie crust. 







Comments

  1. What a great idea Rebekah. I, too, have several jars of applesauce in my cupboard. This is a great dessert to serve up when you need a fix but don't want to run to the store for any ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much simpler than an apple pie, but gives you that flavor profile, and I really liked the texture - very custardy, reminds me of a chess pie!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining in for the first event! This is such an interesting pie, I don't know why I had not heard of it. I'm definitely going to try this one once my oven is fixed- wouldn't you know it, first time posting for my group and my oven breaks. I froze it last night, then this morning remembered I had a Rival roaster oven for turkey--so I am trying my pie in there as I type. Hopefully it turns out nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great take on apple pie! I bet your family loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how easy to make this pie is! And I am a huge fan of apple flavoured pies, so this one is a keeper for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts