#SecretRecipeClub ~ Roast Beef and Mushroom Crostini
Welcome to the May 2016 Group B reveal day for Secret Recipe Club - this is my first post with my new group. I hope you will take a moment to visit the Secret Recipe Club if you've never heard of it before - it is a wonderful group of food bloggers who are given a secret assignment of another member's blog each month and our goal is to pick ANYTHING from their blog to make and post about on our designated reveal day.
These crostinis are awesome. I made a batch and we ate them for dinner alongside a salad for a complete meal, just right for spring. They would be a fantastic appetizer for a get together as well.
The combination of perfectly crisped baguette with tender, flavorful roast beef, fresh tomato, garlicky mushrooms, with just a little bite from the scallion? It's absolutely wonderful. I completely fell in love with these, and will definitely be making them again! I thought they made such a fun dinner treat for something different and so fresh and tasty.
My two year old had to get in on "helping" with pictures. She refused to eat any of these - but that meant more for me!
Roast Beef and Mushroom Crostini adapted from ButterYum
15 slices of baguette (1 1/2 x 3 x 1/4-inch thick)
extra virgin olive oil, for brushing bread
1 TBS minced garlic
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound white button mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch dice
15 slices thinly sliced premium roast beef (I used most of a 7-oz package of Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Slow Roasted Cured Roast Beef)
15 thin slices of roma tomato (approximately 2 medium)
2 scallions, chopped (green tops only)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat, combine the butter with the mushrooms, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste; saute until caramelized, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of baguette slices with olive oil, sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, and place on an unlined baking sheet.
- Place in the oven on the center rack until toasted, about 8 - 9 minutes (bake 5 minutes, flip and bake another 3 -4 until both sides are starting to brown). Remove from oven and place baguette slices on a serving platter.
- Top each slice of toasted bread with 1 thin slice of premium roast beef. Next add a slice of tomato (sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper if desired).
- Top the tomatoes with roughly a tablespoon of caramelized mushroom and sprinkle with chopped scallions.