Secret Recipe Club: Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies
This month for my Secret Recipe Club assignment, I had the pleasure of visiting The More Than Occasional Baker's blog to browse recipes and find something delicious to prepare for me and my family to enjoy. Since this is my first month of completing a SRC assignment with a newborn in the house (and because I was craving cookies) I decided to find a cookie recipe to try out! My son is always a good helper with preparing recipes too, and I thought he'd enjoy homemade cookies as well, and be able to help fix the recipe if I couldn't pull it off on my own. Since everything is all on baby girl's schedule, I never know just what I'm going to be able to get done in any given day!
There were SO many recipes to browse through, even though I already knew I was looking at cookies - there were over 70!! When I came across the Neiman Marcus Cookie recipe, my search was over though. This one has been on my radar for awhile now, and a good chocolate chip cookie sounded fantastic! With this recipe I had a blooper though. Everything on The More Than Occasional Baker's blog is in grams instead of cups and when I did the conversion online I think something got lost in translation and I ended up with VERY flat cookies that spread like crazy. When I looked up a version of the recipe in cups I discovered my version had only about half the flour and oats it was supposed to have... HOWEVER, this was one DELICIOUS blooper!! Yes, they were super flat and very buttery without the extra flour and oats, but oh my gosh they are so GOOD! They're so chewy and crispy at the same time, and I think I've gained back 4 lbs in the past few days eating them up. I really like the ones I over baked; they came out dark brown and so chewy and crispy and good!! So, this was one baking error I am happy to have made. However, I am sure the original recipe is really fantastic and has a texture that's easier to work with - my cookies are super flimsy and bendy!
However you make these, I am sure you will enjoy them too. They are so delicious!!
Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies - slightly adapted from The More Than Occasional Baker
2 ½ cups rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup (generous) brown sugar
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Blitz the rolled oats in a food processor until it resembles a fine powder.
- Cream the butter and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in the flour, ground oats, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in the vanilla.
- Finally stir in the chocolate chips and mixed nuts gently by hand.
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown along the bottom and edges.
- The cookies will still be soft but will firm up as they cool. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.