Secret Recipe Club: Sloppy Joes

It's reveal day once again for the Secret Recipe Club! I've been getting more and more excited, counting down to reveal day. I really enjoyed my assignment this month and am excited to share this tasty recipe with you!

This month I was assigned to Kirstin's blog, Loving Life. Kirstin was born in England, and is a SAHM to two girls, and she obviously loves her family very much - it shines through in everything she writes! Kirstin and her family live in Washington state, where I was actually born and (mostly) raised. :)

I visited Kirstin's Recipe Index and started happily browsing through the posts to get some inspiration and ideas. The pumpkin scones jumped out at me, as did the Yummy Breakfast Cookies, and the Moist Chocolate Cake!

However, I settled on something I haven't had a chance to enjoy in a LONG time and have been wanting to see on my menu for awhile now - good 'ol sloppy joes!! This recipe is awesome - my son and I really enjoyed these sandwiches (hubby had a late work night, so he missed out). The meat has just the right amount of sauce and the flavor is fantastic - very unlike the normal Sloppy Joe recipes I have made before; it has a sweet taste to it. The little bit of balsamic vinegar gives it a truly unique flavor; it's a little hard to explain but is most certainly wonderful and I would happily recommend this one, and we look forward to making these again!! My son voted that this was our new "go-to" Sloppy Joe recipe. :)

This one doesn't have any diced veggies in it, but next time I'd add a small onion, finely diced, to the ground beef while cooking. I like to bulk up my meat mixtures with a little bit of onion and/or peppers when I can!

 



Sloppy Joes adapted from Troyers Loving Life
Ingredients
1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
2 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp prepared mustard (yellow, or Dijon for more of a bite)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Buns, for serving
Cheese, for serving (if desired)

Directions
  1. Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat, until well browned and cooked through (about 10-15 minutes). Drain grease and return to pan.
  2. Add remaining ingredients, through the balsamic vinegar, to the meat and reduce heat to low, simmer for about 10-15 more minutes. 
  3. Serve on toasted buns, top with cheese slices if desired.

Comments

  1. I hardly ever eat sloppy joes anymore, but every time I see a recipe for them I start to crave them like crazy!

    I added you to the hop - happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this may come as a surprise, but I've never HAD a Sloppy Joe in my life! I've seen it in cooking shows, and it seems like a very traditional American recipe, so I better make it sometime and see what's all about

    it looks incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked them. My family loves them! Sometimes I will add some chopped veggies in to the meat as well. I love it because you can make additions to kick it up a bit or tailor it to your liking.

    Thanks for your sweet words and how cool that you were born in WAshington :) I love it even with all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to LOVE sloppy joes as a kid. Except I always had the powdered mix or the Manwich from a can. I would love to try them again as an adult and make them from scratch like this. Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sloppy joe's look just as they should -- messy & amazing. Love that they are from scratch too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah thanks for adding me to the hop! We were gone this morning, driving home from our visit to the mountains and I had forgotten to ask if someone would add me. :) Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had sloppy joes before but it looks delicious! I think my kids would love it. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never actually tried a sloppy joes but have seen it online and in books. It looks delicious, I'll have to give it a go one day. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts