#ChristmasCookies Week ~ Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Welcome to Day 3 of #ChristmasCookies week hosted by Ellen at Family Around the Table where we bring you every imaginable tasty sweet treat to get you ready for the Christmas cookie baking season!
This is such a fun alternative to your traditional shaped / rolled sugar cookie recipe! These are like fudgy brownie sugar cookies, and they hold their shape beautifully - but you have to give these ones quite a bit of "chill" time in the refrigerator / between batches, etc. so they hold their shape. Well worth it though, such a tasty treat, and so pretty! I really liked the chocolate reindeer. :)
See all the delicious cookie recipes for today!
- Cardamom Shortbread by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Coconut Almond Dipped Shortbread by Making the Most of Naptime
- Big and Chewy Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies by Cooking with Carlee
- Chocolate Oreo Peppermint Cake Mix Cookies by Soulfully Made
- Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe by Making Miracles
- Christmas Sprinkle Cookies by Books n Cooks
- Chunky Cranberry Double Chip Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Coconut Cherry Snowballs by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Coffee Shortbread Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Advenutres
- Double Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies by House of Nash Eats
- Eggnog Cookies by Caroline’s Cooking
- Frosted Eggnog Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grandma's Gingersnap Cookies by Tip Garden
- Grinch Cookies by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Heavenly Almond Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck Sruvive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Red Velvet Whoopie Pies by The Freshman Cook
- Thin Mint Crinkle Cookies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Norwegian Chocolate Chip Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Opa's Chocolate Chip Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Rudolph Reindeer Cookies by Everyday Eileen
- Snow Kisses by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Snowflake Cookies by The Redhead Baker
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Chocolate Sugar Cookies from Sweetopia
1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 cups sugar
1 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
- Cream butter and sugar together until well blended. Add in the egg and vanilla, blend into the creamed butter mixture. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet, mixing just until combined. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Lay out a sheet of parchment, place dough on it, cover with more parchment and roll out into about 1/4" thickness.
- Return rolled dough to the refrigerator and allow to chill 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pull out dough, quickly cut out shapes, and place on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets. Place cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until no longer wet looking in the middle. Baking time will depend on cookie thickness.
- Cool for a few minutes on trays, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Refrigerate unused dough between batches. If dough starts getting tacky, return it to the refrigerator to set again. This will ensure your cookies hold their shape.