#MuffinMonday ~ Apple Crisp Muffins
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
I had a good sized bag of apples from my visit to the apple orchards a couple weeks ago and decided to do a muffin for today using up an apple or two. This is a very tasty muffin recipe perfect for fall - the crumb topping makes it extra special (and extra messy)! I like the texture from the oats in the topping with the tender muffin beneath. Just the right amount of sweetness. I found these to be a tad on the mild side in terms of flavor - so suggest adding a tsp of cinnamon to the batter (which I added to the recipe ingredients below). Happy fall!
Have a wonderful morning browsing through these delicious recipes!
- Apple Crisp Muffins from Making Miracles
- Candied Ginger and Rolled Oats Whole Grain Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Carrot Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Double Corn Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Golden Beet Muffins with Caramel and Chocolate from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Orange and Plum Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Apple Crisp Muffins adapted from Broma Bakery
1 medium apple
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, chilled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with baking spray (I used my Pampered Chef Brownie Pan - hence the square muffins!) Set aside.
- Grate the apple and set aside (I left the peel on, peel if preferred).
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Fold in flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Fold in shredded apples.
- In a separate bowl, combine crumble ingredients - brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Use a pastry cutter to work in butter until texture resembles a fine sand.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups, spreading evenly between 12 muffin cups. Crumble oatmeal topping over batter.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, then allow to cool sightly before serving.
Oh yeah....this crumble is making me swoon, Rebekah.ReplyDelete
Your crumble topping is perfect for apple muffins, Rebekah. Like apple pie but so much easier!ReplyDelete
This year we have a local apple share and each week when I bring home a big bag I think I'll do something with them . . . but then we just eat them because they taste so darn good!
I love the square shape of these muffins--great idea!
I love the shape of these and that crumble topping!! I love anything apple, and like the idea of them being tart =)ReplyDelete
Really easy and delicious recipeReplyDelete
I love that crumb topping. But I really really love your square muffin pan.ReplyDelete