#MuffinMonday ~ Rosewater Banana White Chocolate Muffins
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
For today's #MuffinMonday reveal day we were challenged to take a LEAP of faith for Leap Year and pick an ingredient we weren't familiar with or that we'd not used before in muffin form. I received some Rose Water awhile back from Nielsen Massey but hadn't used it yet and I thought this might be just the opportunity to test it out so I searched for a muffin recipe with rosewater. There aren't a whole lot that popped up, but this one sounded very intriguing to me (and I have a freezer full of overripe bananas that really need to be turned into muffins).
|Lindsey and her "cheese" for the camera!
These muffins had great potential - we loved the texture and the bananas with the white chocolate chips, however the rosewater was very overpowering. You can smell them before the first bite, and the taste stays in your mouth for awhile afterwards - somewhat like when you accidentally inhale after spraying perfume! I would love to try these again, but would opt for about 1/4 tsp of the rosewater at most to start with and go from there.
See all the LEAP year muffins below:
- Berry Mango Swirl Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Brown Sugar, Pistachio and Garam Masala Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Carrot Muffins from Kelli's Kitchen
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Cardamom Browned Butter from The Spiced Life
- Marmite Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Prawn and Curry Leaf Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Rosewater Banana White Chocolate Muffins from Making Miracles
- Spinach, Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Rosewater Banana White Chocolate Muffins form Sarah's Cucina Bella
Ingredients1 large egg
1 cup milk
½ cup canola oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 TBS baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt
1/4 - 1 tsp rosewater (depending on how strong you want the flavor)
3 medium bananas, mashed
½ cup white chocolate chips
2 TBS cold unsalted butter
¼ cup brown sugar
1 TBS all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin generously with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend together the egg, milk, oil, rosewater, and mashed banana until evenly combined. In a separate bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into wet until just blended, then stir in the white chocolate chips until just mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, cut the butter into the brown sugar, flour and salt, until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle evenly over each of the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven until golden. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins should come out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven. These can be enjoyed immediately, or stored in an airtight container for up to five days.