#FoodieExtravaganza ~ Cuban Sliders
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla invited bloggers to come up with pickles since National Pickle Day is November 14th!
We hope you all enjoy our delicious pickled creations this month and come back to see what we bring for you next month.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
These are super easy, tasty little treats that would be perfect for "game day food", appetizers, dinner, lunch - you name it. Very versatile and quick to make. I really liked these - I also thought they were really good both warm and cold straight out of the refrigerator!
I kind of love Cubans... in any shape, size, package... I almost always have to order them if I see them on a menu anywhere. Something about the seasoned pork, crisped bread, melty gooey cheese and the perfectly salty and complimentary pickles. You cannot have a Cuban without the pickles (I'm not sure if that's a rule somewhere - but if it isn't, it should be)!
I love pickles pretty much anyway you can eat them - except for the bread and butter variety. Blech. But dill pickles? Yes please! Spears, whole, slices on burgers, sandwiches, in my mouth. We are a pickle eating family. I'm actually going to be trying my hand at a homemade variety in the coming week for another fun weekly group I'm participating in - #handcraftededibles; so say tuned for that!
My picky 2-year old even seemed to like them, though mostly she wanted to pull the pickles out and eat those.
The Pickled Posts...in alphabetical order of recipe title
- Cuban Sliders by Making Miracles
- Danish smørrebrød (open sandwiches) with Remoulade by Caroline's Cooking
- Dill Pickle Hummus by From Gate to Plate
- Easy Pickled Sweet Peppers by Cherishing a Sweet Life
- Pickled Brussels Sprouts by Our Good Life
- Pickled Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Quick Pickled Beet Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Southern Fried Pickles by The Freshman Cook
- Zupa Orgokowa (Dill Pickle Soup) by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Cuban Sliders adapted from House of Yumm
1 12-pk Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
approximately 12 slices of ham lunch meat (more / less to taste)
36 pickle slices, appx.
6 slices Swiss cheese
4 TBS butter
1 TBS Onion Onion seasoning (or minced onion)
1 TBS Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Leave rolls in their cardboard container, but fold the edges down to expose sides of rolls. Cut rolls in half horizontally. Gently break bottom half into individual roll pieces and place in a 2-qt baking dish.
- Cut or fold lunch meat slices to fit (appx. 1 per slider), layer lunch meat, cheese (also cut or fold to fit - half slice per slider), and pickles (appx. 3 per slider). Gently break top sheet of rolls into individual pieces and top the sandwiches.
- Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave and stir in onion and Dijon mustard. Blend well. Pour mixture over the top of the sliders. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5 - 8 minutes or until the sandwiches are lightly toasted. Serve immediately.