Our Pregnancy: 39 weeks - counting down the days!

9-9-13 38w1d - As I begin this post on this beautiful Monday morning, I am very much hoping and praying I will not still be pregnant on the day this is scheduled to post - on Sunday, September 15th... I'm still feeling pretty great most of the time (just don't ask me in the evenings - the evenings tend to suck lately), but I am so, so ready to meet baby girl and see her here, healthy and happy, and not worry about her and her 2-vessel cord any more! I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday and will definitely be talking to the doctor more about our options if we do cross into 39 weeks. I really don't want a repeat C-section, but I also know it's generally not safe to induce someone who's had a previous C-section, and although I wish I could say I am perfectly fine to sit and wait things out and let mother nature take it's course, I am very anxious as the days go by and worry about this little one because of the SUA. I think maybe I'll step up my walking in the evenings and see if I can try to encourage things at home a little more than I have been, and just see what happens in the next 6-7 days.

Here's my 38w1d post from my last singleton pregnancy.  I ended up delivering her 2 days later. I have not had any real bloody mucous to speak of yet (I've had a couple episodes earlier on that had some dark/old blood but none in the past week or so), but otherwise pretty similar symptoms. Gassiness continues, and I had some bad stomach pains last night and was fairly miserable. I laid out on the sofa while the boys watched TV and chatted. I dozed in and out I think - I was pretty sore, and I was contracting as well as cramping. My lower back has been sore since yesterday too. I assume it's just all the extra weight and the size of my belly pulling on my back, but that is new. I've had back pain come and go at times, but this has been pretty consistent since yesterday. Lots more contractions that come and go, some pretty intense painful ones, and then they stop. I was more dilated at this same point in time with that pregnancy than I am this time, so I wouldn't be surprised if this little one still has another week or so to go, but a pregnant lady can hope! :)

9-10-13 38w2d - another day has come, and is just about half way through! I am feeling pretty good today. Normal here and there contractions, normal night of sleeping like crap (woke up 3 times with leg cramps), feeling gassy, a little bit of mucous plug this am, not sure what my appetite is doing. Not as hungry as usual, but food isn't upsetting my stomach (so far). Mostly just tired and looking forward to heading home in another 4 hours. Today is dragging a little. My lower back is a little sore still. Trying to be good about drinking enough water, but having a harder time today with it than usual... just don't feel like it for whatever reason! Can't believe my next OB appointment is in only 2 days - it starts feeling really close together when you get to the once a week point. I am looking forward to seeing Dr. Miller again and asking about delivery possibilities - I am hoping I can have faith that everything will be ok and not be too anxious for at least 1 more week to give baby time to come on her own, but if it starts getting much past that I think I'll be ready for some action. Kenneth was asking me if last night was the night. I don't think he wanted to go to work today. :) Usually he's telling me to keep her in longer! I'm ready to see her little face, toes, and fingers in person and get on with the sleepless nights, and poopy diapers, and all that comes with a new little one - hopefully he is too. :)

9-11-13 38w3d - on this day in my last singleton pregnancy I was recouping in the hospital after a fantastic delivery! I admit I was totally hoping to wake up in labor last night, but no such luck just yet. :) Still here and doing ok. I had a lot of pressure and wonky contractions last night that were uncomfortable, and some Braxton Hicks tightening that was lasting a long time. I had some nasty leg cramps to go with it all too, and woke up 3 times because of them during the night. I'm pretty tired this morning and hoping today passes quickly and uneventfully, so I can head on out, get some fuel in my car, and go home to take it easy for the evening... I'm wiped out already, so I know by this evening I'm going to be really ready to get some rest. Nothing else new to report. We'll see if I'm dilating any more on my own at tomorrow's appointment in the afternoon and get some answers about options for induction / C-section options and what's the longest that's generally safe to go with a SUA baby on board. I am still thinking about 1 more week is about as much as I'll be able to handle without some sort of intervention for my peace of mind. We'll see what the doctor thinks, and continue to hope baby decides to come out before then all on her own!

9-13-13 38w5d - yesterday was my OB appointment. Baby girl had been pretty quiet all day (even that morning, I couldn't get her to respond and used my Doppler before leaving the house to check on her). All afternoon I would periodically press on my belly (usually I get a good kick in response) but I got little to nothing every time. I thought I felt a few small movements, but no thumps/bumps/or kicks like I'm used to. I was getting anxious by the time my appointment rolled around and that was the first thing I told the nurse after she checked my vitals (all still good). The OB came in with the portable u/s and baby girl looked good - she was practice breathing and we saw her moving / kicking so that was reassuring. But to be safe, she sent me straight over to the hospital for more in depth monitoring to make sure all was well - before she sent me she did a quick cervical check to see if I'd had any change from last week and to see if they did decide baby needed to come if my cervix would be favorable for induction. She said I'm starting to thin and was dilated to a 3 now (from a 1 last Friday). That was exciting to hear! I went over to the hospital and got checked in and hooked up. I had about 3-4 contractions while hooked up, and baby girl was moving around quite a bit with all those monitors strapped on and her heart rate was good - so the OB had no problem saying all was well and sending us on our way. We talked for a little while before I headed out (it was the same OB I had for my very first appointment at Emory many months ago, and it's the first time I've seen him since then!) and he gave me the general guidelines for when to come back and asked if I wanted a membrane stripping which I said yes to, since I was dilating already and know it will really only help if my body is ready. He showed the resident how he usually does it, and let her give it a go - teaching hospital! I didn't mind though, it was uncomfortable but not bad, and while she was doing that he called Kenneth from my phone to give him the update. The whole scene struck me as a little funny, in a good way. :) I had some pretty good contractions all the way home after that, and some bleeding afterwards which slowed down pretty quickly. Nothing really though once I got home. The contractions fizzled out. It didn't bother me though - she'll come when she's ready and that's ok with me. Today I'm having a lot of pain/discomfort down the back of my right thigh. It's really bothering me and I'm not sure what the problem is... baby girl is being pretty quiet again today... I am guessing this is just her "new normal" as she's gotten bigger, and hopefully is lower and preparing to make her grand entrance. I have a vague recollection of this happening in the days leading up to labor and delivery before so that is somewhat reassuring - but I miss her thumps and bumps and "feeling" that she's ok in there... Definitely reduced appetite yesterday and today - just working on sipping water and staying hydrated and hoping maybe we'll have a baby this weekend! :)

9-14-13 38w6d - I was so hoping we'd be heading to the hospital last night! I was having a LOT of contractions all the way home, and was having quite a few at work along with some new aches and pains. The contractions were getting fairly painful throughout the afternoon and evening, but staying fairly spaced out and uneven in timing. I had a lot of bloody show last night, and more this morning. I've had a couple contractions today that have been painful, but mostly just that tight Braxton Hicks feeling across my upper abdomen. Baby girl has been pretty quiet most of the day, but has a few bouts of being active and wiggly to let me know she's doing ok. Kenneth and I were both pretty tired and enjoyed sleeping in this morning. When I finally got up I decided to fix a good breakfast and made homemade biscuits, grits, bacon, sausage patties, and cheesy eggs. That was really yummy, but I was wiped out again by the time we'd finished eating. So we went and took a nap, and both of us slept for nearly 3 hours! When we finally got back up, I enjoyed a leisurely shower and then fixed Shepherd's Pie for lunch to use up the leftover lamb from a roast we had recently. I think it came out really good, and Kent really liked it, but Kenneth isn't a big fan of the way the meat tasted. Hopefully Kent will enjoy the leftovers! Kenneth's friend is coming over this evening and I'm going to fix the bison recipe I have for my AllRecipes brand ambassador assignment this month. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together and how we like it! There are a few cleaning things I need to do to make myself feel better about the house, and then hopefully I can relax again. I am really wiped out today! 39 weeks tomorrow... fingers and toes staying crossed this is the weekend we finally get to meet our little girl!

9-15-13 39w0d - still here and pregnant! Yesterday was full on nesting mode - I dusted, vacuumed, did laundry, tidied up, cooked a big breakfast, Shepherd's Pie for lunch, made Bison Stir Fry and a fresh mixed berry pie for dinner... Kent has cellulitis and had some drainage from it, so lots of laundry, changing out bandages, and bleaching the bath tub too. I was on the go pretty much all afternoon but felt good. Had a few painful contractions, but not too many. I was woken up by pains at about 1:00am - I got up and walked around for about 30 minutes and was having contractions every 2-5 minutes, but they weren't painful enough to be the "real" thing. However, that is the first time I've ever been woken up by them like that so I was getting excited. I was bummed when it wasn't progressing after an hour or so, and went back to bed. I probably got back to sleep by around 3am. We're probably getting a foster dog today - she's on her way over to meet everyone, and overall I'm feeling pretty good so far this morning. Some pains, and some contractions, but nothing any different than the past few days so we'll see. I am now 3 days away from being the "most" pregnant I've ever been with any of my 5 pregnancies! 39w2d is the very longest I've ever gone before and I am so ready to meet this little girl! Come on out baby girl; your family really wants to meet you and love on you!!

According to BabyCenter:

How your baby's growing:

Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it's likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, about the size of a mini-watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.


Popular Posts