Sweet and Sour German Red Cabbage


I made some wonderful pretzel rolls recently and it inspired this meal! My dad had bought some bavarian mustard for us at our local German restaurant; it's been sitting in our pantry for awhile now! I stumbled across it when I was putting some things away in the pantry and started thinking back to their pretzel buns with brats, and having a serious craving for them! So, what's a girl to do? Make them herself of course! I pulled some brats out of the freezer to thaw, and found a recipe for pretzel rolls. The only thing else needed was some gorgeous German style red cabbage. I love sticky red cabbage! It's so unique, and just delicious! I love the tang with the sweet, and the wonderful texture of simmered cabbage, mostly soft with just a little texture still. You can simmer it as much or as little as you want, to achieve the texture you're looking for. I prefer mine to be very soft - I would have actually cooked it another 30 minutes or more if I'd had the time!


Sweet and Sour German Red Cabbage adapted from Simply Recipes 

Ingredients
1/2 medium head of red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
  1. Saute the cabbage in the butter over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet for about 5-10 minutes until it begins to wilt; stir occasionally.
  2. Sprinkle the sugar over the top, and add in the balsamic vinegar. Toss gently. Cover with a lid and simmer on low until cabbage is tender.
  3. Add a little chicken broth if needed if the liquid simmers off too fast until cabbage is to your desired tenderness. I think this needs a minimum of 1-hour to simmer, but if you like it to sill have a little more texture 40 minutes might be enough for you!
  4. Taste, and adjust the sugar / balsamic if needed. Season dish with salt and pepper, and serve! 

Comments

Popular Posts