Sweet Potato Casserole
This is one of the yummy recipes I made during the month of November when I was assigned to Sew You Think You Can Cook for Secret Recipe Club. It was a great addition to our meal - and my two boys who are big sweet potato casserole fans gave this one a thumbs up! The topping adds a nice texture and extra sweet burst to the creamy potato filling. We enjoyed this with the Melt In Your Mouth Meatloaf recipe. Next time I will save this one and serve it with a special Holiday Meal - it is one of those family recipes that becomes requested every Christmas or every Thanksgiving because it is a rich, special treat to share and enjoy. I will probably fix this one again when we have our own Christmas dinner at home - I already have the ham in the freezer, and have to start planning out the side dishes to accompany it!
I can't believe it is time to start really planning Christmas... we're talking 2 weeks at this point... where has this year gone?! It has been such a full and busy year - so many things to be grateful for and I am looking forward to 2015 with joy and anticipation for all that is to come.
Papa’s Sweet Potato Casserole from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
3-4 sweet potatoes
1/2 – 3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 stick butter, melted, divided use
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
chopped pecans (optional)
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, or until soft.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, and then remove their skins.
- In a food processor or blender, puree sweet potatoes with heavy cream (you may need to do this in batches).
- In a 2-quart baking dish (you can use a larger dish depending on the volume of your pureed sweet potatoes), combine potatoes, 1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter, sugar, vanilla, spices, and eggs.
- In a medium sized bowl make the topping by combine brown sugar, flour, and 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) melted butter. If using pecans add to this mixture as well.
- Cover casserole with topping and bake 20-30 minutes in the preheated oven.