Nutritional Yeast ~ Emily's Famous Popcorn
I received a package of 100% Natural Nutritional Yeast Flakes from Sari Foods to try out through Tomoson. This is such a fantastic product to keep in your pantry - read some of the benefits of nutritional yeast (information provided by Sari Foods):
- OPTIMIZE YOUR HEALTH WITH SUPER NUTRIENTS. Our Nutritional Yeast is naturally comprised of 50% protein (a complete, bioavailable and vegan source), over 20% fiber, contains all 18 amino acids and 15 different minerals (including iron, selenium and zinc) as well as a natural vitamin B-complex and Beta-glucans (known for their extreme immune enhancing properties plus their ability to lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and some cancers).
- LOSE WEIGHT NATURALLY. Enjoy guilt-free deliciousness with this salty, creamy, nutty, cheese-tasting superfood that can be sprinkled on just about everything and is bound to become your secret weapon in weight loss! In addition to being extremely low in calories, fat and sodium, it is dairy free, gluten free, MSG free and chocked full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein. Thank you mother nature!
- FIGHT AGING and FREE RADICALS. With highly absorbable amounts of nucleotides (the building blocks of DNA and RNA), Nutritional Yeast promotes cellular repair and regeneration. Then, by combining the two antioxidants glutathione and selenium, our Nutritional Yeast Flakes create a special enzyme called glutathione peroxidase that is known to neutralize free radicals and protect us from their damage.
- END YOUR ENERGY CRISIS. 15-40% of Americans are deficient in B vitamins which can lead to deep and ongoing fatigue, brain fog, irritability, depression, and even insomnia (as they play a crucial role in melatonin production). The body depends on B6 to make the hormones serotonin and norepinephrine, which affect both mood and feelings of happiness. Improved Vitamin B intake helps us sleep well and helps balance our hormones. increase our energy levels, clarity & overall mental function.
I chose to try out a yummy popcorn recipe for my first experience with nutritional yeast. I also found this nutritional yeast macaroni and cheese recipe that I'll be testing out soon, this Cauli-power Fettuccine "Alfredo, Vegan Dreamy Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Cinnamon Buckwheat French Toast, Vitality Soup, Vegan Tomato Queso Dip, or how about "Cheesy" Roasted Cauliflower - yumm! There are a LOT of great recipes and ideas available out there - get creative!
There is quite a bit of information about Nutritional Yeast and its benefits out there - check out info on GoDairyFree.org (this site was super helpful to me when I was off dairy while breastfeeding Lindsey), or on About.com.
Emily's Famous Popcorn from your mom on AllRecipes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup un-popped popcorn
1/4 cup butter, melted (optional)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add popcorn, and place the lid on the pan. Shake to coat kernels with oil. When the corn starts to pop, shake the pan constantly until the popping stops. Remove from heat, and pour popped corn into a large bowl.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the corn if using, and sprinkle with yeast, chili powder, cumin and salt. I like to give it a little stir before serving.