Tex-Mex Velveeta Bake

This is a Kraft Recipe which I found via Pinterest and wanted to give a try! I would say this one came out good but not "great". It was somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed mine, and finished it all but my son wasn't overly impressed with this one. I really liked scooping mine up with some crunchy, salty tortilla chips!

The original recipe calls for 4 cups of frozen diced hash browns, but I chose to use fresh potatoes and browned them for about 10 minutes while my meat was cooking. If you want to use fresh potatoes, but don't want to brown them, you could always precook in the microwave for a few minutes. I just wanted to make sure they would cook completely in the oven, and felt they probably needed a "head start" on the stove top. I was out of bell peppers, so I omitted it, but would have enjoyed it in the dish.

I think this might be extra yummy served up with traditional taco toppings - some diced tomato and lettuce and a little sour cream? Yumm! If there are leftovers for me, I am probably going to have to give that a try and see how it comes out. I also think this might make a good, hearty, wrap filling in your favorite tortilla.



Tex-Mex Velveeta Bake adapted from Kraft Recipes

Ingredients
4 medium potatoes, cleaned and diced into small cubes
1/4 cup oil for browning (I used vegetable oil)
1 lb. ground beef
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, diced
¼ cup taco seasoning 
½ cup water
1 ½ cups frozen corn (or 1 can corn, drained)
8-oz Velveeta, cut into small chunks

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet and add potatoes (in batches, if necessary) and fry for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly brown them.
  3. Meanwhile, cook the ground beef with peppers and onions in large skillet for 10-15 minutes; drain grease. Return mixture to skillet.  
  4. Add in in taco mix and water to meat mixture. Add potatoes, corn and Velveeta cheese; mix gently to evenly combine. Spoon into 9x13-inch baking dish; cover with foil.  
  5. Bake for 20 minutes and then stir. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through, dish is evenly heated, and cheese is melted.
Link Parties:
Show and Share Wednesday

Comments

  1. This looks SO good! Seems like it would have a lot of flavor...and I love anything with potatoes in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was very good - and the flavor would be easy to tweak to your personal preference with the addition of other "taco-esque" seasonings! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts