Lemon Sunshine Cake
This is a SUPER easy and yummy cake! I was craving something bright, and lemony, and tender, and quick for dessert and this fit the bill beautifully. I love that everything is mixed together in one bowl, and the glaze is a wonderful accent to the tender and moist cake. My son absolutely LOVES this cake and was completely bummed that I took just over half of it in to work the night after baking it (so we wouldn't eat it all!) - he would have been happy to make sure it was all eaten up! :)
Lemon Sunshine Cake adapted from ACYGAN on AllRecipes.com
1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix
1 4.5-serving package instant lemon pudding mix (I used sugar free, 1 oz package)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup lemon lime soda (I used diet Sun Drop)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 TBS lemon lime soda
1/2 TBS lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan (such as a Bundt).
- Beat lemon cake mix, lemon pudding mix, white sugar, eggs, 1 cup lemon lime soda, and vegetable oil in a bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until top of cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Cool cake in the pan for 15 minutes before carefully removing cake to finish cooling on rack.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, 1 1/2 TBS lemon lime soda, lemon juice, and lemon peel (if using) in a bowl to make a smooth frosting.
- Place cake on a serving platter; poke holes in top of the cake (gently) with a fork. Pour frosting slowly over the cake, allowing frosting to soak into the holes, and drizzle down the sides of the cake. If frosting puddles at the base of the cake, drain it off back into the bowl and re-pour over the top until most of it has stuck to the top and sides of the cake.