#FishFridayFoodies ~ Seafood Paella
Would you like to join Fish Friday Foodies? We post and share new seafood/fish recipes on the third Friday of the month. To join our group please email Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org.Visit our Facebook page and Pinterest page for more wonderful fish and seafood recipe ideas.
For January's event, Sue from Palatable Pastime invited us to take a trip to the Mediterranean! Any seafood recipe from that region of the world. I adore paella, but have only had it a handful of times. That saffron infused rice, full of tender meats and veggies, and crisped rice around the edges. There's nothing quite like it, and I thought today was a perfect day to make and share this delicious - special - recipe. I really don't cook with seafood that often - but every time I do I'm always so pleased with the results - and how quickly it cooks! I'm grateful for this group - it gets me out of my comfort zone and bringing more tasty seafood dishes into my kitchen!
This seafood paella comes together quickly after a little bit of prep, and the result is a stunning, fresh dish full of vibrant colors and tender seafood. It was absolutely delicious - and a I would call this a date worthy meal for sure, but easy and quick enough to throw together on a busy work night!
Fish Friday Foodies January 2020
Mediterranean Fish and Seafood
- Baccala Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Seafood Paella from Making Miracles
- Greek Seafood Rice from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Greek Bronzini Pan-fried Paleo Dish from Of Goats and Greens
- Zarzuela de Pescado from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Linguine Pescatore from Food Lust People Love
- Moroccan Chermoula Baked Fish Fillet for One from Sneha's Recipe
- Coquilles St Jacques from Caroline's Cooking
- Mediterranean Shrimp from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Seafood Paella adapted from The Mediterranean Dish
2 TBS olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups Spanish rice or medium-grain rice
3 cups vegetable broth
1 TBS minced garlic
2 large pinches of Spanish saffron threads soaked in 1/2 cup water
1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
2 large Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
6 oz French green beans, trimmed
1 lb scallops
1 lb prawns or large shrimp or your choice, peeled and de-veined
- Soak the rice (in a bowl, covered with water) for 15-20 minutes and then drain before proceeding with recipe.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, saute the onion for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the drained rice and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic, vegetable broth, soaked saffron with its soaking liquid, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, diced tomatoes, and green beans. Stir mixture gently a few times to combine.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and place scallops evenly across the top, pushing them down into the rice gently. Cook 3-4 minutes. Remove lid and add shrimp as well, also pushing down into rice and cook about 7-8 minutes, until seafood is fully cooked through and shrimp is pink.
- Serve immediately.