Parmesan Oven Baked Tomatoes


I bought a few too many tomatoes at my last grocery run, but that is never a problem in my house. I love fresh tomatoes. I have eaten them sliced up with just a little salt and pepper numerous times. I love them served alongside eggs, in sandwiches and wraps, cooked into sauces, etc. We go through quite a few tomatoes in our house!

I knew I had been craving steak, and was trying to decide which sides to go with - and realized some baked tomatoes might be just the perfect thing. I wasn't wrong! I loved these as a side dish with the steaks (though, honestly, I think I'd have loved them alongside just about anything). I can't believe I've never made tomatoes like this before. The garlicky, parmesan cheesy topping was such a lovely complement to the warm, tender tomatoes. They were really delicious and I can't wait to enjoy the leftovers tonight!


Parmesan Oven Baked Tomatoes adapted from Spend with Pennies

Ingredients
3 large ripe tomatoes, sliced in half (or about 5 small / medium tomatoes)
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 TBS minced garlic (jarred, if using fresh, reduce to about 1 clove, 1 tsp)
1 TBS olive oil
3 tsp dried herbs (I used 1 tsp each parsley, oregano, and basil)
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place sliced tomatoes on a baking tray.
  2. Place fresh bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper in a small to medium bowl and toss lightly until well combined.
  3. Divide bread crumb mixture evenly over the tops of the sliced tomatoes.
  4. Bake 10-15 minutes uncovered in the pre-heated oven, bread crumbs should be toasted (be careful not to over bake the tomatoes or they will get very soft).
  5. Serve immediately! 

Comments

Popular Posts