#BakingBloggers ~ Cran-Cherry Orange Scones



Are you a blogger who would like to join in the Baking fun? Request to join our Facebook Group, or contact Sue from Palatable Pastime, we post monthly on the second Monday. For March we're sharing scones - sweet or savory! The options are really endless when it comes to scones.

I have several recipes on the blog already, this is a fun weekend baking project - I've made Pumpkin SconesBanana SconesBasic British SconesSimple Scones, and World's Best Scones. I decided I needed to try something with a fun flavor profile since I have several basic ones already on the blog - plus when I came across the combination of Apricot and Orange I needed to look no further for inspiration - but then I looked in my pantry and decided to use the dried fruits I had because Cranberry and Cherry with the Orange also sounded wonderful!


I really, really loved these scones. They reminded me of "coffee house" style scones. Fluffy, cake like, lightly sweetened, chock full of chewy fruit, with a lovely glaze to complement. The dough on this scone recipe was fairly wet; just add enough flour to your counter to prevent sticking, and a little more on top as you're patting out the round, but allow the dough to be soft.

I floured a flexible cutting board, and shaped my disc there, then flipped that over atop the silpat on the baking sheet; it seemed like the easiest way to manipulate the disc! I scored the dough once it was on the lined baking sheet.


Look at all these beautiful scone recipes to inspire your baking this month!

Baking Bloggers

March 2020: Scones


Cran-Cherry Orange Orange Scones adapted from Land O Lakes

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely chopped dried cherries
1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp dried grated orange zest
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup sour cream
1 large egg, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon almond extract
Additional flour for dusting scones to prevent sticking

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine the flour, dried fruit, sugar, zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Use a pastry cutter to blend the cold butter into the flour mixture, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the sour cream, beaten egg, orange juice, and almond extract. Mix together with a fork until dough comes together. Use a spatula to ensure all flour is mixed in and ingredients are evenly combined.
  4. Generously flour the counter (or a flexible cutting board), and scrape out the dough. Lightly flour the top of the dough as well and gently pat it out into a round disc about 7-inches across. Score into 6 wedges. 
  5. Place on a silpat lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 18-25 minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom and cooked through.
  6. Cool 10 minutes before preparing the glaze.
  7. In a small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients, adding just enough orange juice for a thick, spreadable glaze.
  8. Pour / spread glaze over the tops of the scones. Serve warm, or store in an airtight container for up to 3-days.


Comments

  1. I love making recipes that use up the pantry stash. I always seem to have some of these fruits in there. Great idea for apricots and cherries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange is such a "friendly" base to mix and match dried fruits you already have on hand with! I appreciate the opportunity not to add another ingredient to my shopping list :D

      Delete
  2. Love that combo of flavours. And being able to pull them out of the pantry, BONUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cranberries and cherries! These would be perfect with a hot cup of tea, Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the combination of cranberries and cherries! And that glaze looks amazing. Plus, it's always so nice to be able to use what you have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a good day when you can use up the last of bits and pieces from the pantry. My favorite way to cook and bake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful flavors! The dried cranberries and cherries sound perfect for pairing with the orange!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so flavorful and delicious! Love the combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of combining both cranberries and cherries in there - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great scone recipe for those weekends when I need a scone but don't have any great fruit hanging around to make them. I almost always have dried cherries and cranberries in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts