#CakeSliceBakers ~ Spiced Sweet Potato Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting
Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is The New Way to Cake: Simple Recipes with Exceptional Flavor by Benjamina Ebuehi. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking and eating cakes!
Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the thumbnail pictures below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details. The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.
It is a new year and a new book - The New Way To Cake - and our choices for January 2020 were:
Blood Orange & Olive Oil Upside Down Cake
Spiced Sweet Potato Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup peeled, cooked sweet potato, mashed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 cup (about 5-oz) cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan (line with parchment paper if desired).
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend the sweet potato with the eggs until well combined (scrape down sides as needed). Add in the oil, sugar, and brown sugar and blend again until smooth and creamy.
- Blend in the milk and vanilla and blend again.
- On low speed, add in the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix just until combined (making sure there are no flour pockets). Finish stirring by hand.
- Spread batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool about 15 minutes in the pan before turning out to complete cooling directly on a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before preparing frosting.
- Prepare frosting by blending the softened butter and cream cheese together until completely smooth. Add in the powdered sugar on low speed, increasing speed slowly until well combined and a creamy consistency is achieved. Generously spread loaf with frosting and serve!