#ImprovCookingChallenge ~ Orange Olive Oil Pound Cake


For October's #ImprovCookingChallenge we were given the ingredients of orange and olive oil to combine into a recipe. I wasn't quite sure which direction I wanted to go until I ran a few searches and came across this olive oil cake. I've never made an olive oil cake but was super curious! I knew it would be very moist - and the orange flavoring sounded like a lovely addition. 



I'm glad I gave this one a try! It was really tender, and it's absolutely the PERFECT tea cake / bread. The texture and flavor reminds me quite a bit of many of the quick breads I've made. It's labeled as a pound cake - and does have a fairly dense texture. But so much moisture in each bite - and a lovely light orange flavor. If you want a stronger orange flavor, up the extract content.

October Improv Cooking Challenge ~ Olive Oil and Orange



  • Orange Olive Oil Pound Cake adapted from Epicurious

    Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    3 large eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup olive oil
    1 tsp orange extract
    3 TBS brandy
    1/2 cup OJ in cake
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1/2 TBS dried lemon zest
    1/2 TBS dried orange zest

    Glaze
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar

    Directions

    1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
    2. Blend the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, blending between each addition. Add in the orange extract, brandy, orange juice, and buttermilk.
    3. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. 
    4. Slowly add in the dry ingredients in to the wet, blending just until combined. Do not overmix.
    5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour 5 minutes, to 1 hour 10 minutes. 
    6. Combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
    7. Allow cake to cool in pan about 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack. Place a silpat under the cooling rack, and slowly pour glaze over warm cake, allowing it to soak in. Allow glaze to firm up before slicing and serving.

Comments

  1. It looks amazing Rebekah. I love the flecks of orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had somehow never made a cake with olive oil before! I love the addition of brandy. I'm sure that really pumps up the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I use olive oil to make muffins, I can't figure out why I've never made a cake with it. Yours looks like it turned out moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a slice please...like now!!! It looks so good!!! And a great way to use olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The addition of brandy to this pound cake takes it to another level.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts