#SoupSaturdaySwappers ~ Moroccan Apple and Sweet Potato Beef Stew
Welcome to the October 2019 Soup Saturday Swappers event, hosted by Sue from Palatable Pastime and led by Wendy of A Day in the Life on Farm! Today we're sharing regional soups, or soups from our states.
This is a rich, hearty, and really delicious recipe - beautifully seasoned, tender beef, sweet potatoes, sweet apples. It is such a unique and filling dish - but it is also very rich and goes well over something like simple rice or couscous! A little green parsley helps brighten the dish as well. The original recipe calls for raisins, which we left out because we don't enjoy them much but I could see how that would add a wonderful texture to this stew! I really loved the way the meat comes out in this dish!
Come see what all the other Soup Swapper Bloggers are sharing today!
Moroccan Soups and Stews
- Chicken Tagine Mchermel by Pandemonium Noshery
- Harira Soup with Merguez Sausage by Palatable Pastime
- Moroccan Apple and Sweet Potato Beef Stew by Making Miracles
- Moroccan Bean Soup by Our Good Life
- Moroccan Carrot & Ham Soup with Coconut Milk by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Moroccan Lamb, Chickpea, and Lentil Soup (Harira) by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Moroccan Lamb Soup by Sneha's Recipe
- Moroccan Lentil Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Moroccan Tomato and Chickpea Soup by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
Moroccan Apple and Sweet Potato Beef Stew adapted from Savory Moments
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb beef stew meat
1 small onion, diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup apple juice
1 15-oz can beef broth
2 small / medium peeled and diced sweet potatoes
1 large red apple, peeled, cored, and diced
Serving suggestion: over hot rice, or couscous
- Heat oil in a large pot, brown the stew meat and onion. Season with the salt, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, ground pepper, and cloves. Stir and allow spices to toast lightly.
- Add in the tomato sauce, apple juice, and broth. Stir to blend in seasonings to the liquid.
- Add in the potatoes and cook about 15 minutes, then add in the apples and cook another 30 minutes or so on low simmer until potatoes, apples, and beef are tender.
- Add additional apple juice or broth to thin during cooking as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serving suggestion - serve delicious thick stew over hot rice or couscous; sprinkle with fresh parsley.