#MuffinMonday ~ Lemon Meringue Muffins
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
These lemon meringue muffins have been dubbed "cupkins" in our house - the texture is somewhere between a muffin and a cupcake. They were very well received by those who've tried them. The texture is somewhat fluffy, but somewhat dense and it has a subtle lemon flavor. The meringue is a wonderful and special addition to this recipe, setting it apart from your more traditional lemon flavored muffin recipes. I stuffed some lemon curd in a few of these for an extra lemony treat! They are delicious, and worth revisiting.
See all the Muffin Monday offerings today!
- Apple Blackberry Muffins by sew you think you can cook
- Cappuccino Chip Muffins by Palatable Pastime
- Cheesy Chile Corn Muffins (Gluten Free) by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Cinnamon Swirled Muffins by Passion Kneaded
- Fresh Peach Muffins by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Meringue Muffins by Making Miracles
- Phase 3 Muffins by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Raspberry Mini Muffins by Food Lust People Love
Lemon Meringue Muffins from Taste of Home
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Increase oven setting to 400°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Spread or pipe meringue onto muffins (it will start spreading quickly atop the warm muffins, so pipe / spread quickly). Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.