Johnsonville Sausage 6 Ingredients or Less Challenge Makeover Recipe!
I made this recipe up for the Johnsonville 6 Ingredients or Less challenge - and it was definitely quick and easy, and it was tasty, but not great. The tomato soup and chili powder were a little lacking in my opinion. I love the idea of this one, but think it needs something other than tomato soup for the base - I'm not quite sure what though! The flavor of the sausage is wonderful, so it doesn't need a whole lot in the flavor department, just something that would complement. Maybe some diced tomatoes in place of the condensed soup. I think using shredded cheese would also work better for this than the processed cheese slices - just personal preference!
Ground Sausage, Rice, and Cheese adapted from on AllRecipes.com
1 cup white rice2 cups water
1 pound ground Italian sausage
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
1 - 2 tablespoons chili powder
8 slices processed cheese (or use 1 cup shredded cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook rice with water, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile cook ground sausage over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet. When meat is cooked, drain excess grease.
- Mix in tomato soup and chili powder and combine.
- When rice is cooked, layer half of it in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, layer half of the meat mixture over top. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheddar or lay 2 slices of cheese atop this layer.
- Add remaining rice, meat mixture, and then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
|Have to end this with our little Lindsey - just about 7.5 months and visiting her Nana and Papa in the mountains.|