Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
I love Strawberry Shortcake, I love the biscuit version, the angel food cake version, the pound cake version... really I like anything with saucy strawberries, and add some home made whipped cream? Heaven!! This is our new favorite shortcake recipe! I couldn't believe how GOOD and unique the shortcake came out - it was dense and a little chewy, just the right amount of sweetness, and was really somewhere in the middle of an angel food cake and a biscuit shortcake. It was perfect!
We had guests over for dinner and pulled this out for dessert and everyone absolutely devoured this and gave it two thumbs up. My husband wanted a second serving after our guests headed home (and he's the pickiest one about what makes a "good" shortcake). You can bet this one is going in the "favorites" file and will be pulled out the next time we're in the mood for some strawberry shortcake, or have some strawberries to use up.
My batter was very thick, and I used a spatula to spread it into the greased baking pan.
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake (slightly adapted from) merz4 on AllRecipes.com
2 lbs strawberries, cleaned and diced
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or to taste
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1 - 2 cups whipped cream (preferably homemade)
- Put diced strawberries in a container and add white sugar, shake to distribute. Shake or stir occasionally to help juices form.
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg and milk in another bowl; stir into flour mixture until batter is just blended. Pour (or spread) batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden and set in the middle, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Split shortcakes and put a serving of strawberries in the middle - drizzle both sides of the shortcake with juice from the strawberries. Replace top shortcake and top with desired amount of whipped cream.