#MuffinMonday ~ Chocolate Banana Crinkle Muffins
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
These chocolate banana muffin treats are yummy!! They seem to me to be some mix of chocolate cake and brownie in texture and flavor, with a touch of banana flavor blended in. The texture is light, moist, tender, and rich, with a crispy sugared topping and lovely gooey bites of chocolate chips blended in. I used my square pampered chef pan, which I've totally fallen in love with. I love how easily muffins (and other treats) slide in and out of that pan! If you like the flavors of chocolate and banana together, these muffins are definitely worth a try. Although I have a hard time justifying these as anything other than dessert - but nonetheless they are muffins and have bananas in them, so that totally counts as breakfast-worthy I believe!
Check out all your November 2016 Muffin inspiration here:
- Banana Chocolate Espresso Swirl Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Banana Crinkle Muffins from Making Miracles
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Sweet Potato Muffins from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Christmas Morning Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Gingerbread Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Savory Sage Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Shrimp Scampi Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Stout Spice Muffins from Passion Kneaded
Chocolate Banana Crinkle Muffins adapted from Averie Cooks
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
topping: about 1 teaspoon granulated sugar for each muffin, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer blend the bananas until well mashed. Add in the vegetable oil, sour cream, vanilla extract, and egg. Blend until well combined.
- Gently stir in the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips by hand.
- Prepare your muffin tin by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- Distribute the batter into 13 - 14 total standard sized muffin wells (use a regular pan with 12 wells, and distribute the remaining batter into a mini loaf pan, mini muffin tin, use a couple stand alone silicone muffin molds, second standard sized muffin tin, or discard as preferred). The wells should be approximately 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle the regular sized muffins with 3/4 - 1 tsp sugar each for the crackled topping.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes for regular sized muffins, and 10 minutes if using a mini muffin tin.