This is a fantastic summery fruit pie with a jello base to hold it together. You can mix and match the jello flavors and fruit add-ins to your personal preferences. Serve this with some more fresh berries and homemade whipped cream for the perfect ending to any summery meal!
I did find this recipe to be very, very sweet with the added sugar to the water / jello mixture. I actually might try cutting it back by 1/2 to even a full cup next time I try this one. The pretzel crust gives a nice savory touch to this otherwise very sweet dish.
Strawberry Pretzel Pie adapted from Lemon Tree Filling
3 cups Snack Factory Pretzel crisps
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
6 TBS cornstarch
1 (6-oz.) package strawberry jell-o (I subbed 2 small boxes - 1 rasberry and 1 cherry)
4 cups strawberries, cleaned, de-stemmed and chopped into large pieces (I halved or quartered depending on size)
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blitz pretzels in a good blender until they are finely ground.
- In a deep dish pie plate, combine the pretzel crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter. Stir to combine evenly with a fork and press onto the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake crust in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Combine the water, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium pot. Whisk to combine to blend in cornstarch, then turn heat on to medium-high and bring to a low boil, stirring regularly, until mixture is clear and thickened. Remove from heat, stir in the jello, and allow mixture to cool to room temperature (this can take up to an hour, so you can do this part done first and then proceed with the crust and prepping your strawberries).
- Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into prepared and cooled pie shell.
- Store in refrigerator until set; serve with whipped cream.