#BundtBakers ~ Root Beer Float Bundt Cake


Welcome to April's #BundtBakers reveal day! This month we were challenged by our hostess Felice of All That's Left Are The Crumbs to take a retro dessert and turn it into a bundt cake - I debated a few possibilities and then saw some Root Beer Float Cakes and settled in.

You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about #BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.



Unfortunately this didn't come out quite like I'd hoped - but that doesn't mean it wasn't delicious and a fantastic cake - it was just very much a super rich, fudgy, chocolate cake, not so much a root beer cake. I used bottled IBC root beer and would suggest picking a stronger flavored root beer next time, and adding some of the root beer flavoring as well if you really want to notice the root beer in the cake. I could taste it on the back of my tongue if I thought about it, but if I didn't KNOW it was in there I wouldn't have been able to put my finger on it. I will be giving this one another try, and will opt for a white cake base and skip the chocolate which seems to overpower the root beer flavoring. That said, this is a delicious tender, moist, rich chocolate cake that would go fantastic with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream for that "float" flavor! :)


And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month ~

Root Beer Float Bundt Cake adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

Ingredients

Bundt Cake:
2 cups root beer (do not use diet root beer)
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup (4-oz) butter
1¼ cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs

Root Beer Fudge Frosting:
2 ounces dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup (4-oz) butter, softened
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ cup root beer
2/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ½ cups powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Generously spray the inside of a 10-inch bundt pan generously with nonstick cooking spray, or butter the pan and dust with cocoa powder, shaking out the excess powder and then set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until just beaten, then whisk them into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently blend the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture - do not over mix but make sure all the flour is incorporated.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Gently loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto the rack.
Root Beer Fudge Frosting:
  1. Put all of the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium-low until well combined.
  2. Use a spatula to spread the fudge frosting over the cake in a thick layer. Let the frosting set before serving. Store leftovers wrapped well or in an airtight container at room temperature.


Comments

  1. I had never heard this type of beer. Your bundt retro looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Root beer was my soda of choice growing up, Rebekah. So much so that my mom would even buy the extract to send off with me in the summer when I'd go stay with my dad because there wasn't root beer where he lived and all summer was too long to go with! I can tell from the color that your cake is lovely and rich! Never mind if the root beer is subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a root beer float cake...how fabulous is this?! :D

    Great addition to this month's BB :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one fudgy looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I feel like the flavor would stand out more without the chocolate. Looks yummy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your cake looks so chocolatey, but once you have a bite people would be pleasantly surprised with the root beer taste in addition to the chocolate. One of my daughters is a big fan of root beer so I can't wait to surprise her with this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it's possible that any cake could actually be "too" chocolatey! hahaha! But I totally get what you're saying. Maybe if you just used less cocoa next time? 1/2 cup? or 1/3 cup? but keep everything else the same?
    Either way- as a total chocolate lover your cake looks amazing to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son in law is a root beer nut so I am going to try this for him using your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite it lacking root bear flavour it still looks super rich and yummy! Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry you didn't get the strong root beer flavor you were looking for. I have a big bottle of root beer extract in my pantry that would be perfect in this cake. I might just have to try and see how it would work in this recipe, because your cake does look moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet, my very favorite is A&W Root Beer, I'm anxious to try your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. great job on the super fudgy cake! it seems like baking with soda is the way to go. my coca cola bundt was very moist as well-great minds, right? makes me wanna experiment with other types of soda.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts