I posted the recipe as it is originally written below, but my tweaks are as follows: I halved the recipe and baked in a 2-quart square casserole dish. I used brown sugar and added 1 TBS melted butter for the cinnamon/walnut mixture. I only used 1/2 cup o f chopped walnuts. I used light sour cream and replaced the white sugar with Stevia. I only layered twice instead of 3 times, and baked for 45 minutes. Since it was in a baking dish I didn't remove it from the pan to cool. Other than that I followed the recipe and instructions below!
The result was really delicious. I absolutely loved the way this came out. Very tender, moist and the topping was the perfect crunchy blend of cinnamon and nuts. Yumm!!
Cinnamon Coffee Cake I By:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 3/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one 10 inch tube pan.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter or margarine and 2 cups of the sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs one at time beating mixture well after each egg.
- Combine flour with baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add alternately with sour cream to egg mixture. Beating just enough after each addition to keep batter smooth.
- Combine walnuts, cinnamon, and remaining 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Spoon 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with 1/3 of the walnut mixture. Repeat layers two more times.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 70 minutes or until center is done. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove pan and let cake continue cooling on a wire rack.