Biscuits & Gravy!

The ultimate southern comfort breakfast food - at least according to my handsome hubby! Kenneth loves biscuits and gravy. Me, not such a big fan. I haven't really eaten them since we left California; I can't remember if I used to like them and stopped liking them after I had my gastric bypass surgery, or what the deal is, but in general I just don't like sausage much anymore. However, I am happy to fix this for Kenneth and Kent on the weekends, usually a couple times a month.

I have pretty much always eyeballed this recipe, but tried to include the basics below!

I usually use Bisquick Heartsmart for the biscuits - I use 1 1/2 cups of mix with 1/2 cup of 1% milk and split that into 4 biscuits. Those go in the pre-heated oven at 450 degrees.

We always use Jimmy Dean sausage, Kenneth just likes the flavor best!
About 1/2 a pound of sausage goes in the non-stick skillet over medium heat and gets broken up.

As it browns I usually turn the heat down to a 3, so the grease won't cook off - you need that to soak up the flour!


I use a large spoon and sprinkle about 2-3 large spoonfulls over the sausage - however much it takes to soak up the grease.

After the flour is stirred in and soaked up, the sausage looks a little "puffed up" compared to before! Now it's time for the milk!

I pour in enough to cover the meat in the pan and turn the heat up high.

As the heat causes the mixture to start bubbling I usually turn the heat back down to medium and stir frequently to prevent sticking, it will thicken up and the color will get darker. After it's bubbled at least a minute or so I turn the heat off and let it sit.
The biscuits are all pretty and golden brown now after their 10 minutes in the oven! I split two and put them on a plate.

Drizzle a few heaping spoonful's of gravy over the biscuits and...
Voila! Add pepper to taste and enjoy. Super simple, quick and easy - comfort food!


Biscuits and Gravy

Ingredients
4 large biscuits, baked
½ lb sausage
2 TBS flour (a little less, or more as needed depending on how much grease you need to absorb)
2-4 cups milk (as much as needed to achieve desired consistency)
Salt and pepper to taste

 
Directions
  1. Over medium heat, cook sausage allowing grease to build up (if it’s cooking off, turn the heat down some). When meat is cooked, add  about 2 TBS of flour to soak up all excess grease, stir well until flour is completely incorporated.
  2. Add milk, stir gently to combine. Turn heat up to high, stirring frequently, until bubbling. Turn heat down to low and allow to simmer until it reaches desired thickness.

Comments

  1. I found this post from the link up on Gooseberry Patch Skillet recipes. Your breakfast dish looks delicious. I love making sausage gravy in my cast iron skillet just like my grandmother did. Blessings, Diane Roark visit anytime at www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane - we do too! I posted this initially before we got our cast iron, but now that's all we use for gravy. Love my cast iron skillet! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts