Pesto Tomato Mozzarella Chicken Bake


I adore these flavors together... adddoorrreee... I am slightly obsessed with basil in general - especially when you put it together with tomato and mozzarella. Perfection! I first had a version of this at my best friends house and I have been waiting to make this at home. We had some leftover sliced mozzarella after making this delicious pizza recipe and I knew we had to give this chicken dish a try!


Tender chicken smothered in delicious rich pesto and tucked in with melty mozzarella and a roasted slice of tomato. The only thing I was missing was fresh basil to sprinkle on top - but there was none available when I had gone shopping last, so we just left that off. My sister added a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to hers!

I look forward to making this dish again soon - it was the perfect light lunch with some steamed green beans. You could add some garlic bread or rice if you wanted a more filling, substantial meal.


Pesto Tomato Mozzarella Chicken Bake adapted from Julia's Album

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
salt and pepper
1 TBS minced garlic (jarred)
1/2 cup basil pesto
2 tomatoes medium, sliced
8-oz fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced
Optional: balsamic vinegar, fresh julienne sliced basil

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Pound chicken to even thinness (or for the larger breasts, I like to cut them in half separating the thinner piece from the thicker piece, and slice the thicker piece in half horizontally).
  3. Season chicken on both sides generously with salt and pepper. Brown chicken over medium to medium-high heat in a nonstick skillet with 1-2 TBS olive oil (cook in batches).
  4. Place browned chicken in a 9x13 baking dish.
  5. Spread the minced garlic over the tops, then spread the pesto. Top each piece with a slice of mozzarella followed by a slice of tomato.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on thickness, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
  7. Optional - drizzle lightly with a touch of balsamic vinegar just before serving, and sprinkle with fresh basil.

Comments

Popular Posts