French Toast Bake
I've had this dish in my "to make" list for AGES! I initially saved it when I participated in Brunch Week awhile back. I didn't get around to it then, but thankfully I finally got a loaf of sourdough and gave this one a try. I actually prepped this in the AM, let it sit in the refrigerator for the day, and baked it up for a delicious and special dinner!
Starting with a beautiful fresh loaf of bread from the bakery resulted in a soft, crunchy, rich, perfectly sweet french toast casserole that was tremendously enjoyed by all! We served this up with some easy scrambled eggs and crisped bacon and it was the perfect way to end the day. We all agreed this would be awesome for a family breakfast / brunch - we may make this our go-to Christmas day breakfast from now on. Yumm!
French Toast Bake from Lil Luna
Ingredients1 loaf sourdough bread
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 TBS vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick), cut into pieces
- Cut loaf into cubes and place evenly in a greased 9x13 pan.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread.
- Cover your pan with Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with this mixture until crumbly and place in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight as well.
- Take pan and Ziploc out when ready to bake. Sprinkle crumbly mixture evenly over the bread.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how soft you like it.