All I can say is if you like salmon please do yourself a favor and try this one out! Oh my gosh - this rub is perfection on the salmon. I made 4 salmon fillets for dinner and my son ate 2 1/2 of them by himself! The flavor is smoky and sweet, and the fish is flaky and tender. The combination is absolutely delicious and went perfectly with some fresh green beans and a piece of garlic toast. My son said it was the best meal we'd had in a long time. I choose to take that as a compliment to the recipe, and not a remark on my cooking of late! :D
I skipped the grapefruit salsa - the only ingredient that I will eat in the list is the grapefruit and I figured that would defeat the purpose (I love onion and bell pepper, but don't eat either raw). I will say most everyone else who did make the salsa said how great it was - so if you like those ingredients whip up a batch and let me know what you think!!
This is a wonderful recipe from Mazola - you can find their whole recipe collection on AllRecipes.com here.
Sweet and Spicy Salmon with Grapefruit Salsa from Mazola on AllRecipes
Sweet and Spicy Rub:
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 pound salmon fillet
2 teaspoons Mazola® Corn Oil
2 cups grapefruit sections
1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, oregano, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Cut salmon into 4 portions and brush with oil. Distribute the rub over the salmon generously coating all surfaces. Place salmon on a shallow baking pan with sides.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until fish flakes easily.
- Coarsely chop grapefruit into bite size pieces. Combine all salsa ingredients and serve with salmon. Grapefruit salsa can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.