I found the original recipe for this on MyRecipes.com awhile back and made it with stew beef the first time which was really yummy. This time I fixed it with 1 pound of ground beef cooked with 1 diced onion, green pepper, bell pepper and a few stalks of diced celery. I cooked up some diced fresh green beans and mixed those in as well. I really love the flavor of the meat using the suggested ingredients in this recipe and then like to mix and match vegetables depending on my mood and what I currently have ready to go in the refrigerator! :)
1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or stew beef, cook in crock pot until easily shredded and then continue with recipe)
1 medium onion diced
1 green and red pepper diced (optional)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed (other options would be sauteed carrots, celery, canned or fresh mushroooms, or green beans - or any combination)
4 tsp beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1 TBS whole wheat (or all purpose) flour
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes (cut tomatoes to desired bite sized pieces)
1 bay leaf
2 TBS red wine vinegar
5-6 cups prepared cheesy mashed potatoes for topping
1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. Sautee peppers and onions (and carrots and/or celery if using) for 10-15 minutes over medium heat. Add ground beef and continue cooking another 15 minutes until vegetables are tender and beef is fully cooked through. Drain off all excess grease and return meat mixture to the pan.
3. Add garlic, any additional desired cooked vegetables (green beans, peas, etc.), beef bouillon, salt, pepper, thyme and flour. Stir to combine.
4. Add stewed tomatoes, bay leaf, and red wine vinegar. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Allow to simmer 15-30 minutes. Taste test and adjust seasonings as desired.
5. Remove bay leaf and discard. Spoon beef mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and spoon mashed potatoes on top, smooth to cover.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.